Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Year 2, Day 202: Let's Dishy

I purchased a a cheap food scale from Sur la Table. It was literally six dollars. I have found it amazingly helpful in two ways. One, it has been helping me understand the relationship between food in ounces and grams. This is important because often, the nutritional labels on packages of bread, cereal and other stuff is listed in weird amounts (like 3/4 of a cup) or in grams. So when you want to know how two keep from having a 750 calorie-breakfast, the scale is very handy. Two, it's helping me understand my portions. For instance, I can now eye out 2 oz of jalapeno cheddar and 2 oz of almonds & cashews within just a few grams. This is very helpful because it keeps me from having to guess, which can be dangerous when you're hungry and your guess-mechanism tends to be a little less than trustworthy.

Breakfast
1 Slice Balthazar Bread
2 Soft Boiled eggs
Green Tea

Snack
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno CHeddar
3 Sticks Beef Jerky
20 Almonds

Lunch: Russo's ($5.57)
Red leaf, red pepper, red onion
broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, feta
chicken, balsamic vinegar

Dinner:
Mustardy Chicken
Green Beans

Emily got a meal tonight from "Let's Dish," which is a new concept place that opened around the corner from me in Needham. Though I did not go with her, I understand the concept (http://www.letsdish.com/) is that they help you prepare meals for your family. While the dish she got was good, and certainly as good as many restaurants, it also had the restaurant problem of relying on things that I now routinely try to avoid, such as breadcrumbs on the chicken and sugar in the beans. It's true, being on the diet makes you a suspicious ass, which is to say not beloved by those who often serve you dinner. I'm working on that, but I think after the tsk, tsking is over she forgives me because I'm trying to be healthy. I mean if I want sugar, I want to consume it in ice cream or chocolate, not in my green beans!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Being super sensitive to chocolate and coffee and sugar I feel like the Princess and the Pea. I can sympathize with how careful you are. Tonight at the Bridge Club someone offered me a cough drop (Politely said no...sugar) Then my partner offered me sugarless candy )Politely said no...chocolate.) So it goes. Love, The Princess