Monday, September 11, 2006

Year 2, Day 193: A 9-11 Lunch Date

Today Emily surprised me by coming by work and we had a lunch date. This was a very bright spot in a day that is marked by so much grief. We went to new Ginza, which I'm not sure is as good as old Ginza, but is still in many ways superior to Sushi 21, with its dark, and rarely cleaned interior. I had the Sashimi platter, which is yummy, but leaves want wanting more. It took three more pieces of jerky and a bag of popcorn before I could stop thinking about food upon my return. I might have been better off with a piece of chocolate, had not a coworker freed me of the burden of the lavender/blueberry dark chocolate that was languishing on my desk, and taunting me most days. He ate it in a rather hostile, but clearly-stress induced moment last Friday, which was his last day before a long vacation.

Breakfast
1 slice Balthazar multi-grain
2 soft-boiled eggs
green tea

Snack
50% Jalapeno Cheddar (2 oz.)
5 pieces of Beef Jerky (a record)
1/2 oz Boston Lite Popcorn
6 Cashews

Lunch: New Ginza
Miso Soup
Salad
Sashimi Platter (Octopus, Tuna, Salmon, Whitefish)

Dinner: Blue Ribbon
Pulled Chicken
Burnt Ends
1 Red Leaf Salad
1 Bite of Corn Bread

It's great to have sashimi for lunch, because it tastes good, and it's very low in fat and very low in calories. However, you need some fat to make you satisfied, so I do find that I'm hungrier immediately after that kind of meal. I was very hungry by the time I got home, and I was able to eat some very high-fat protein in the Blue Ribbon BBQ offering. I love barbecue. I never really ate it as a kid, and except for a fascination with spare ribs as a youth, I never really ate ribs. It wasn't really until I met Emily that we ventured out to BBQ places all over Boston. We didn't agree on the merits of all the places, but we both loved Jake and Earls in East Cambridge. They weren't falling-off the bone saucy ribs (like Redbone's, which I also love) but they were dry-rubbed. Like chinese spareribs but without the sugar and more meaty. Blue Ribbon I would say is just as good if not better than Jake N Earls, which subsequently moved to Waltham and became overpriced and noisy. One great feature of the South Beach diet is I suppose my continued ability to eat BBQ, though I do have to skip most other parts of it, like the corn bread, and pecan pie and ice cream dessert.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it's hard to keep up on the blogging, and it's all you can do to post it all up, but for God's sake, man, you have sharpen up your editing eye. I can't be married to a man who points out all the apostrophe esses that are mistakes in the world, then writes, "Aileen, who's flight was delayed." Come ON Senator!

Mom said...

It's good to have your own little editor in the house. As for Japanese food..I told you Kama has reopened and I'm counting the hours til I can go again. What addiction! But while they were closed Dr Katz took our group to a Japenese place near by. When I complained that it was only fair suchi he chided me for being such a purist. When I told him that Kama had reopened he said, "Thank God, I'm so tired of eating second rate suchi. There it is. Love, MOM