Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Year 2, Day 194: The KitchenAid I'll Never Have

Occasionally, I'll find myself at a department store and I'll find myself wandering through the kitchen appliance aisle. I love kitchen appliances, and for about twenty years I dreamed of owning my own KitchenAid stand mixer. I dreamed about owning the large one, with its great capacity and its flour-hook attachment. When they came out in classic colors (cobalt blue, red, and stainless steel) I almost plotzed. I was constantly thinking about what I could sell in order to get the necessary $300 to get one. Whenever they were on sale on Lechmere (does that tell you how long it's been? Lechmere has been out of business for 10 years.) I would longly caress the Sunday fliers as if it was a piece of soft cloth. I dreamed of making cakes, pizza, muffins and bread. I dreamed of becoming a baker and making mouth-watering zucchini breads and corn muffins with bacon.

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!/Heritage Flakes
1 small banana
blueberries (half-cup)
unsweetened soy milk
green tea

snack
five beef jerky

lunch: peter's kitchen
chicken kebab salad with feta

dinner: blue ribbon bbq
beef chicken
kicked up leeks
broccoli

Now $300 is still a lot of money (the price has not changed, it's $299 without tax and shipping) and I realize now that if I really wanted one, I probably could convince Emily that it was worth getting. But I realized with a great sadness that I wouldn't get one now. That there is little I would make with a KitchenAid that I would actually eat. I mean, you really get a KitchenAid to bake. I don't want to become that person that bakes things for other people. And I certainly learned my lesson from work that I should not be a cake-celibate yet still push it on other people. Aside from the great joy I would get from making and eating muffins, I'm certain a KitchenAid should no more be in my house than a set of two three pound tubs of David's Cookies Cookie Dough (the best cookie dough in the whole world). If you want to know more about David's Cookies Cookie Dough, please visit
(http://catalog.hsn.com/prod-15678/qc/170/hp!sf!170/1370101/1370101.htm). Otherwise, you could go to the KitchenAid site and check out the stand mixers on sale (I note that the Lemon Grass-colored mixer, is on sale for $209).

1 comment:

Mom said...

Ah it's in the genes. I too craved a Kitchen Aid mixer...and I found it about threee years ago while visiting in Bean Town at Targeton sale. Yes, I bought it and I brought it home and I savored it. And I think I have used it once! SO don't worry....even if you finally allow yourself to buy it.....the chances of actually usuing it are slim. Love, MOM
P.S. They are often on sale at COSTCO.