Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Year 2, Day 187: Tuesday's Eggs

Today Emily and I took Magnolia to her "Open House." That was where we got to meet the teachers for her preschool. It wasn't really much of an event, but Magnolia certainly took to it, helped in no small part by the avalanche of balloons that greeted her at the door. At the behest of my wife, I went to a physical therapy session for my torn-tendon, a tennis injury which I sustained about two weeks prior. It really wasn't getting any better, and though I am known as a procrastinator, the inability to play tennis was really getting to me. Not only that, but even typing the blog was quite painful. This is a reason I fell behind—I could only type so much. She worked hard on my arm. She told me to lay off tennis, wear an elbow brace, a wrist brace and do stretches. Ah, the glory of old age.

Breakfast
1 cup Heritage Flakes/Bad Kashi Go Lean replacement
1 small banana
Blueberries
Green Tea

Lunch: Peter's Kitchen
Salad with Grilled Chicken, Feta
Diet Pepsi

Snack
2 Sticks Beef Jerky

Dinner:
Chicken Breast
Cauliflower

1 Nip

From "The South Beach Diet Online". Once again, they ominously know what I'm thinking:

Testing Eggs for Freshness
advertisement

Since the South Beach Diet® allows you to eat eggs in every Phase of the plan, it's not likely that they'll be sitting around for long. Nevertheless, it's always helpful to know whether your eggs are fresh.

Here's a handy way to tell: Place an egg at the bottom of a glass full of water and wait for what the egg reveals:

If the egg lies at the bottom on its side, the egg is fresh.
If the egg sinks, but with one end up, it's getting old but is still edible.
If the egg floats at all, it's time to go buy some fresh ones.
This test is effective because eggshells are porous, and over time they dry out, letting air in and moisture out. If you are someone who prefers egg whites, then save some time and money by buying eggs in bulk and separating them right away. Egg whites freeze very well and can even be kept for up to three or four days covered in the refrigerator.

1 comment:

Mom said...

That gets right to the heart of the matter. I know you have always been concerned with eggs and their freshness. Now you have been vindicated for your concern and have a way to test them when dates seem unreliable. Myself....I've been eating eggs . ...any eggs for almost 70 years. Love, MOM