Saturday, July 22, 2006

Year 2, Day 143: Birthday Party Rain

Last year I won Emily's heart by telling my brother that Ruby's birthday party was still "on" with great confidence even though it looked like rain. Today, a year later, when we try for the same party (a party outside, that is) the forecast is even more bleak, if only for the confidence with which the broadcasters deliver the weather report: RAIN. The night before, Ruby's best friend had HER birthday party, and it was nearly called on account of the typhoon watch. 15 girls were herded away from the mosquito-laden mini-golf course into the accompanying shed and given arts and crafts because they could not continue the party outside. Emily and I fretted all night about such a repeat occurrence happening with us. When I woke up this morning, it was literally a white out with FOG. A bad sign, I couldn't help thinking. As it turned out, the party's late call (12:30pm) was somewhat of a blessing, though we originally had wanted 11AM, but we changed it because Ruby's best friend's RAIN Date was today. So we made it 12:30 so the kids could properly party-hop. That didn't happen, and actually the rain held off just enough for the kids to enjoy the moonwalk, ice cream cake, pizza and cotton candy just dandily (though not in that order).

Breakfast
Omelet with Corned Beef, Pastrami & Onions
1 Slice of Balthazar Multi-Grain with Butter

Lunch/Party
2 Burritos: Chicken, Carnitas, Black Beans, Salsa Hot Sauce Guacamole
Cheese of 1 slice of Papa Gino's Pizza
Corn Chips & Guacamole
1 Slice of Birthday Cake with Frozen Snickers
Ass't Cheese Cubes

Dinner
Spicy Pork with Leeks
Hollow Green Stems
Salt & Pepper Calamari
1 Sour Pickle
1 slice corned beef

Dessert
2 Tablespoons of Raspberry Sorbet
1 Balthazar Chocolate Chip Cookie

In terms of the food, I was going to title this entry "hmm...what DID I eat today?" With so much food everywhere (and there was a lot) it was just impossible to either 1) stay on the diet or 2) watch what I ate. I think I did alright in terms of what was out there, but that is truly 'to damn with faint praise.' Amazingly, I did take my brother-in-law on in tennis today. It's not amazing that I played him, just that on a day of chaos that I was able to get away and play tennis. We played two sets, and he took the first one 6-1, but we were on serve in the second set (and I was feeling good) when a woman appeared at the sidelines. I gave her the high-chinned look, the universal gesture to mean "what do you want?" She said "the center has been closed for 10 minutes." My brother-in-law dutifully packed up and, reached by cell phone, dutifully went to pick up the Chinese food that seems to be the traditional 'after meal' of the big party day.

1 comment:

Mom said...

It was a great day despite the rain. I especially loved all the six year olds standing in line..patiently waiating their turn for the cotton candy that was being made "on the spot." Nothing deterred them. As for the eating that day.....the birthday cake was amazing as was all the rest of the goodies.....glad that you got some tennis in. Love, MOM