Saturday, July 01, 2006

Year 2, Day 122: Strawberry Fields

This morning Ruby and I got up early (as always) and she was eager to play with new bricks I got her. If you've ever spent time with 3-7 year old kids, you know about these ubiquitous bricks made out of cardboard. We played with them all morning and then, just as we wanted to, we made off to Lands Sakes Farms in Weston for their Strawberry Picking Festival. If you go to their site, you'll see they are already making excuses for the poor selection of Strawberries, but when we got there there was a sign that said "No Strawberries" which I think is poor if you're advertising a Strawberry festival. Of course in this world, you can't believe what you read and after buying a strawberry shortcake for Ruby (4 tickets) and a plate of pulled pork (from Blue Ribbon, natch, also 4 tickets) we went to check out the hay ride and we were told that you could pick strawberries, only that it might not be very fecund. Ruby and I trotted over to the fields and we barely got one box worth (and I had to lower my standards to even do that) before her head got turned by the Hay Ride. In the typically disappointing pattern of the day, we got there and the hay-ride driver said he was going to take a 15 minute break. Ruby and I waited on the hay. When he got back we went on the world's slowest, hottest, and least visually stimulating hay ride. I'm sure I didn't win any fans by discussing the Al Gore movie in regard to global warming vis-a-vis the barren strawberry fields. At the end of our trip to the farm a lady took Ruby's picture with the farm llama named Harley. She said it might be in the Weston Cryer. I said "when?" She said "I don't know." Very sketchy.

Breakfast
1 Cup Heritage Flakes
1 Cup Kashi Go Lean
1 Cup Strawberries/Blueberries
1 Cup 8th Continent Vanilla Light Soymilk

Strawberry Field Snack
Pulled Pork
a few bites of strawberry shortcake

Lunch:
1 Joseph's Wrap
1 Egg
2 oz. cubed ham
2 oz. cheese

Pool Snack:
Celery with Peanut Butter
1 oz. Cracker Barrel Cheese
1 Utz pretzel

Dinner
Chicken Breast
Cauliflower with Pine nuts

Quite a hot day, we made the most of our pool membership by suiting up everyone in the family and hi-tailing it around the corner to the fairly-hopping pool scene. As always, it takes quite a while to perform this operation, and we went in two cars so Ruby could stay after Magnolia had had enough. As I am finding is so often the case, I am in charge of packing the snacks for the family, which is good because it means I will only pack good snacks, but it is also bad because it means I want to eat everything I touch. As it was I had my usual peanut butter & celery snack and surrendered to the urge of 1 dark whole wheat pretzel. They are quite yummy. I swam one lap, which wasn't too much exercise, but as you know, I think every little bit counts.

1 comment:

Mom said...

As has been said about a few other things and now strawberries..."Evem a rotten one is good." Sorry the day didn't work out they way you had hoped it would. But I'm sure it was great to spend time with Ruby. Love, MOM