Friday, July 07, 2006

Year 2, Day 128: Is it Poker Again

This morning I was not only thinking about my poker game tonight but about Ruby's field trip. She was slated to go to the MFA with her camp. I thought it didn't sound too exciting for a 6 year old, but she had a good time. She was especially excited about seeing Mummies, which naturally she called "Mommies." Since she has not been eating her lunch at camp, I struggled with what to give her so she would have the strength to keep up with what I imagined would be a terribly draining day. To this end, I took her shopping with me the night before and told her to pick out what she wanted in terms of: drink (orange juice), side dish (corn chips) and dessert (Marshmallows) from Whole Foods. Her report was that she 'ate everything up.'

Breakfast
Two Eggs (Soft boiled)Marshmallows
1 Slice Balthazar Multi-Grain Bread

Snack
1 Joy Stick
1/2 oz Boston Lite Popcorn

Luch: Peter's Kitchen
Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken
Feta, Oil & Vinegar

Poker/Dinner
1 Handful Almonds/Cashews
2 Doritos
3 Roll Mops: Roast Beef, Turkey, Corned Beef, Jarlsburg, Mustard
Peppadews
Pickles
Cole Slaw
Pistachios
A few Strawberries

I went for a fast walk today with another Domaniac, who is training for a triathlon. I usually find that walking on poker day helps my game. Tonight, however, I was not so lucky. In the first two hours I had to keep buying in as I made foolish mistake after foolish mistake and continue to go down in flames. My luck turned around right before dinner when I bet everything on a ridiculous long shot, pushing my luck to where it should not go and I got lucky and took an enormous pot. From that point on I was able to stay in the game but I did not distinguish myself. I came in third for the night, which is probably my worst showing since I don't know when. Though I ate my weight in pistachios, I did OK for the night.

Amazingly, one of the players insists on buying a pie, ice cream and whipped cream every single time, despite the fact that this leaves half a pie, most of the ice cream and nearly a whole can of whipped cream over. Since the average cost of this set up is about $20, it's quite a big deal. He asks me every time what kind of pie I think we should get, to which I give him the same, unemotional response: "I don't eat pie." Despite this, he continues to badger me at pie time. "Come on, have a slice." "What, you're not going to have any pie?" "You can't have one piece?" I try to employ techniques I have learned as a parent to deal with his obliviousness to both my irritation at his fiscal irresponsibility and my South Beach tendencies. I'm just glad he hasn't chosen Strawberry-Rhubarb yet, which is my weakness. He insists on getting apple, all 12 months of the year, no matter that I tell him other fruits are in season. He is a lost cause.

1 comment:

Mom said...

May I ask whether or not this poker player who brings the pie etc. has a weight problem? He seems quite obtuse emotionally. But good for you for withstanding the pressure. Love, MOM