Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Year 2, Day 140: I Renounce Chick Peas


I'm not sure why I thought chickpeas were OK and I suddenly started having them in my salad. I checked the book today and it looked like they rang in at about 20g of carbs per serving. That means I was basically having a slice of bread on top of my salad. It just reminds me of the Budweiser commercial where they celebrate the inventor of the Taco Salad. "A culinary creation that baffles the mind...a 12,000 calorie salad...some may ask 'is your taco salad healthy? Of course it is, it's a salad, isn't it?"

You can see the whole commercial here (it's pretty funny):
http://thetravisty.com/Cool_Commercials/mov/Real_Men_of_Genius_-_Giant_Taco_Salad_Inventor.htm

Breakfast
5 slices of Ham
1 Slice Balthazar Bread
Green Tea

Snack
1 joystick
3 sticks celery with 2 tblspns whipped cream cheese

Lunch: Russo's ($4.98)
Red leaf, red pepper, red onion
chicken, feta, broccoli, mushrooms
balsamic vinegar

Dinner:
Emily's Ground Chicken Crumble
Cabbage & Lettuce
2 oz. Cracker Barrel Cheddar
1 Bite of Hamburger

From Kentucky Fried Chicken's Web Site (http://www.kfc.com/about/pr/011402.htm)

Comfort Food Hits Peak Season
A new survey commissioned by KFC® finds that Americans are turning to the familiar tastes of comfort food to appease their palates during the winter months. Survey results confirm that seasonal factors and a stressful environment increase the likelihood that Americans will consume comfort food. In fact, seven out of ten people surveyed chose winter as the peak season for comfort food. Furthermore, studies suggest that comfort food satisfies certain emotional cravings and is a common way to cope with stress.

"People don't just eat when they're hungry but when they're tired, bored, stressed, anxious or lonely," explained Leblang. "Chances are, when it's Mom's meatloaf, a big bowl of mashed potatoes, a bucket of KFC fried chicken or a slice of homemade apple pie, there's a certain emotional hunger that gets satisfied, too - that's comfort food."

When asked about the emotional gratification of comfort foods, respondents ranked the following:

• Gives me a good feeling so I can carry on 50%
• Takes my mind off the problem 38%
• Reminds me of good times in the past 27 %
• Makes me feel safe 18%
• Reminds me of Mom 9%

1 comment:

Mom said...

Sorry to learn of the demise of the chick peas. I love them too. I am surprised but that's how it goes. I am one who likes my comfort foods...all of the above reasons. Love, MOM