Thursday, July 06, 2006

Year 2, Day 127: Shock and Awe

A single serving of Teddie Natural Peanut Butter is 2 Tablespoons (32g). I know that I have been eating more than this because servings per container are "14". I put that number in quotes to share my alarm. This means a jar of peanut butter should last me 14 days, if I'm having the correct serving amount every day. Since I'm lucky if the jar lasts me 5 days, I can conclude that I my 'eyeing it out' system has failed me completely. I suppose if I employ science I could figure out that if 14grams is half an ounce, that 28 grams would be two ounces and since I use tupperware for my peanut butter I guess I would have to say I was putting about three ounces in them, rather than two, though 32 grams should be two and half ounces, so I was probably pretty close. But again, as I described, the bottle lasting only a week is a tell. Additionally, the peanut butter serving described above has 190 Calories, of which 140 are from fat. While it has absolutely no trans fats or cholesterol (and what product does have cholesterol?) it does have 7g of carbs but with a redeeming 8g of protein. As a food, it's excellent: low in sugar and sodium, very delicious and satisfying. But as the South Beach book proclaimed and I have since re-quoted multiple times:

NUTS ARE A DIET-BUSTER.

Oh the woe! Sad for me, really.

Contrasting that, 14g (1/2 oz) of Boston Lite popcorn has 60 Calories, of which 20 are from fat. That means I could eat three times one serving (three bags) for 180 calories, and 60 from fat, which is much better than the Peanut Butter (but not as yummy). Carbs are slightly higher at 10g, so you've got to watch that, but there's 0 sugar and less sodium. Probably two bags is the way to go for lunch, and that's what I've started today. We'll see if it makes a difference.

Breakfast
2 Eggs, Over Easy
1 Slice Balthazar Multi-Grain
Green Tea

Snack
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
1 oz. Boston Lite Popcorn
Coffee

Lunch: Russo's ($4.94)
Red leaf, red onion, red pepper
chicken, chick peas, feta
broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes

Dinner: Papparazi
Grilled breast of chicken
broccoli, spinach, tomatoes

Tomorrow is another poker game and that's not great. It's hard enough to mind my ps and qs without going into it with a deficit situation. On top of that, this weekend begins my vacation which almost will certainly make it harder to stay on top of both diet and exercise. July is going to be a tough month, I can just tell.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Sorry to hear about the peanut butter situation.I know how much you like it....maybe limiting the portions would work. Of course, I'm not knocking popcorn...Saw The Devil Wears Prada today. It's cute...a fun movie with so knock out clothes. Love, MOM