Monday, July 03, 2006

Year 2, Day 124: Carb-cident

There has been a lot going on in my personal life that has been stressing me out somewhat. So even though this has been a sort of laid-back week going into the holiday, I was on edge, and found it hard to settle down. I had some wine with dinner, and I figured I'd treat myself to a little dessert. We went out to an untried ice cream place in Wellesley with everybody. We all got something— I got a kid's soft-serve yogurt vanilla-oreo swirl; Emily got a coffee chip cone, Mag got one scoop of plain vanilla and Ruby, against my advice, got rainbow sherbet. As you would expect, the ice cream place had labeled it "Sherbert" which, if you are not already slapping your forehead for the woeful long-gone standards of this country, is incorrect. Though I usually would have taken the time to correct the young man who was scooping us, I figured I wouldn't get anywhere with it, so I just let it go. Ruby naturally didn't like her sherbet (maybe the 'r' made it more tempting) so I gave her mine, but in reality we all ended up eating each other's in a kind of round-robin ice cream feast. Magnolia kept yelling 'bite' 'bite' every time her mouth wasn't packed with ice cream so it took a lot just to keep everybody happy. Though it was a great few moments at the ice cream shoppe, I felt even worse physically as a result of the ice cream. Not sure whether it had to do with lactose intolerance or just the 'I gave up' feeling of surrendering to dessert, but I vowed to go to the gym the next day. I can't face the July weigh in without it.

Breakfast
Kashi
Heritage Flakes
Strawberries
Blueberries
Soy Milk

Lunch:
Romaine, Feta
Tuna,
50% Jalapeno Cheddar
2 Rye Vita Crackers

Snack
6 Celery Sticks
2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
Several Crackers and Cheese for Testing

Dinner
Pork Cutlet
Asparagus
White Wine

Dessert
Some Yogurt and Some Ice Cream

One of the problems with your kids is they go over to other people's houses and eat the junk that you have forbidden (or at least refused to buy for) them to eat. Alas, our neighbors are no exceptions as they proffered these 'cheese and crackers' setups, that in my opinion are neither cheese nor crackers (discuss). Frustratingly, Ruby fell in love with the little red knife that comes with it, and would only eat the orange, fakey cheese and the high-fructose corn syrupy crackers. In my attempt to get her to eat the 'real' or 'whole foods' versions of these foods, I got an array of crackers and some nice spreadable goat cheese. I think you can predict the outcome— the loud wah-wah sound. But I will keep trying, so long as there is breath in my body.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The real problem is offering your children spreadable goat cheese and therefore making them smell like rancid milk product left in the sun spot of a deep pile carpet for a few days. NEVER AGAIN.

Mom said...

Oh well, his heart is in the right place. Who could turn down ice cream. Glad Mag's values are in the right place. Happy 4th. Love, MOM