Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Year 2, Day 93: Turkey


I am not a big turkey fan anymore. I'm just not. I don't mind Thanksgiving and even other big holiday meals where it might be served. I used to enjoy the "Thanksgiving Sandwich"—turkey, stuffing, cranberry on a bulkie with mayonnaise all year long. Actually, I LOVED that sandwich, and no one made it better than a lil' sandwich shop called Pugsley's in Brookline (RIP). On reflection, I used to eat turkey sandwiches everywhere I went, but due to the wild disparity in sliced turkey quality, I was known to inquire whether the turkey was "off a bird." I realize now that that was idiotic way to determine whether or not the turkey was carved from a breast attached to a carcass with bones or came wrapped in cellophane from Boar's Head. But except for Emily rolling her eyes, no one came up with a better way to ask. Why was I so concerned? Because I was on a constant mission to avoid eating Turkey Loaf— the absolute WORST kind of deli-turkey there is. It's often foisted upon airplane travelers and other captive lunch audiences. Anyway, for about six years now, I just have not had the appetite for turkey like I once had, I'm not sure why. In fact, I had taken to calling things that were repellent "turkey." As in that's so "Turkey." But I think it has something to do with the fact that ham just doesn't last as long in your fridge like ham does. I like ham better because it's cured, so it doesn't taste old or get slimy quite like turkey does. Ooof, I have stop to writing about turkey now.

Breakfast
1 cup Kashi go Lean
1/2 cup Heritage Ancient Flakes
1 cup USM
Tea
1/2 cup blueberries

Snack
2 oz. cheese 50%
Celery with Peanut Butter

Lunch: Russo's ($4.64)
Red Leaf, Red Pepper, Red Onion
Broccoli, Chick Peas, Feta, Chicken

Dinner:
Red, Yellow and Orange Peppers
Soy-Snap Peas
1 Piece Dry, Awful Turkey Tip
1 oz. Cracker Barrel Cheese

So it is no surprise that when I came home and Emily tried to serve me turkey tips, I was literally not able to do it. This is first and foremost because these were specifically bad AND old turkey tips. I have eaten freshly cooked turkey tips, and when they are grilled, they can be very good. The funny part is that the reason Emily was serving me the turkey tips in the first place was because she had tried to give them to BOTH kids and they refused. Really made me proud of the kids.

In all fairness to Emily, who is a wonderful cook and obviously my partner in this whole thing, the turkey tips were purchased from Sudbury Farms (which is neither a farm nor in Sudbury, discuss).

1 comment:

Mom said...

Turkey tips? That's a new one for me. I do like turkey though in almost any form...especially at holiday times. But good for you that you are discriminating. That's really great! Love, MOM