Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Year 2, Day 85: You Had a Bad Day

It's true, I'll admit it— I am an American Idol fan, though many people out there might have reason to believe it's just more pabulum aimed at dumbing down the masses. For whatever reason, it is guilty pleasure that I indulge in. Sorry. But for some reason, I made the mistake of agreeing to switch cable providers (from Comcast to RCN) on the Tuesday of the big finale show! Naturally, Fox was the ONLY channel that didn't work. This sent me into an apoplectic fit of rage as I feverishly paced back and forth, pushing buttons to try and make the channel come on. Ruby was laying next to me on the couch, our legs intertwined, and she said "I wish I could fix your show." (Very sad commentary on my fathering there). Finally, between the support person I got 10 minutes after I called and my thought of switching to the Hi-Def version of Fox, I managed to TIVO half the show, but it was too late— the best part was already over. It had been already been quite a day, as Emily and I achieved her dream of getting a mini-van, completing our transformation from cool young hipsters, to square suburban adults. Spent, I collapsed myself into the recliner, with Magnolia in my lap eating her very soggy "Mighty Bites" cereal. And in the corniest of all ways, I realized that she means everything, and everything else really means so little.

Breakfast
Joseph's Protein Tortilla
2 Eggs
1/2 Chicken Chorizo Sausage
Sprinkling of Cheese
Salsa
Green tea

Snack
2 oz. 50% Cheddar Jalapeno
1 Medium Dunkin Donuts Coffee
6 Stalks of Celery, 2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter

Lunch: Russo's ($6.21)
Red leaf, red onion, red pepper
chick peas, chicken, feta
broccoli, olives, pepperocini
oil/vinegar

Dinner: Minado Sushi
Salmon, Yellowtail Sashimi
Spinach Salad
Seaweed Salad
1 Piece Unagi Nigiri
1 Bite of Whitefish Wrapped Shrimp
2 Sticks Yakitori
1 Gyoza
Edamame Salad
Cucumber Salad
Shrimp & Cocktail Sauce

Now there is a lot of exciting talk about food today. For starters, I realized with these low-carb tortillas my brother brought me, I can realize my dream of recreating the McDonald's Breakfast Burrito nearly every morning. IT WAS FANTASTIC. I must use only one egg, though, because the wrap is small and the sandwich got a bit unwieldy. Be-Bop burrito also had something with eggs and chorizo, if I remember correctly, that I always got whenever I went there.

Tonight, Emily noted that she would not try and liberate a car from the dealership on an empty stomach. There were other places, but we sashayed into Minado, a place where the fiscally responsible dieter is punished because the only way to get value out of an 'all you can eat buffet' is eat two to three times what you normally eat. Since that was neither advisable nor possible for me, I just had to pay a lot for a little, but it was still a great time and I advise anyone who's just come from a desert island and craves Japanese food to head right there.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Sorry about American Idol. I think I know how you feel. Last week, because the president was speaking, I didn't get my recording of "24." How sick is that! But my friend and bridge partner Ann had taped it. WOuld you believe she brought it over to the house Wednesday morning? Now that's friendship. I was kind of hoping to get my fix of Japanese food in in Boston as I'm not eating much lately. Harvy,alias the White Rabbit, doesn't eat it. Arggh. On a par with missing American Idol? Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Simply one of my favorite blog entries ever. And maybe that's because I was watching the look on your face as Magnolia ate her Mighty Bites. I was also there when Ruby said, "I wish I could fix your show." I almost had to eat her entire head after that, but I controlled myself. Wish I could say the same about Minado.