Monday, May 29, 2006

Year 2, Day 91: Working it Out

When you're a parent, and on a diet, you've really removed nearly all of the vices you could have once engaged in. Mostly because they all have side effects, such as keeping you up late or making you sleep late, neither of which you can do regularly when little ones bang on your teakettle before the sun comes up. So what do you do when you have the urge to splurge? Go on an iTunes shopping spree, naturally. I had a gift certificate from a special person in my life (for whom I wrote a recommendation for graduate school), so it wasn't even like spending real money. I blew nearly all of it on bunch of junk-food pop, including THREE songs from American Idol. Then, iPod loaded up, I went to the gym for a record second time this weekend and had more elliptical time. I have to say, it was great. I see why people to go to the gym multiple times in the week— but I'm still not sure I know how to break to the code to make this happen. I realize I complain about this a lot, but it takes me a long time.

Breakfast
1 Cup Kashi Go Lean!
1/2 Cup Heritage Ancient Flakes
1 Cup Unsweetened Soy Milk
1 Small Banana

Snack
1 Slice Balthazar Bread
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
Coffee
6 Sticks Celery
3 Tablespoons Peanut Butter

Lunch
Salad: Tuna, Celery, Peppers
Feta, Broccoli, Romaine

Dinner
Turkey Cutlets a la Emily
Broccoli
Peppadews

Late in the day (2ish) we decide to all go the pool. Naturally, this takes hours because you have douse everybody with suntan lotion and double-diapers and bring water and snacks. It doesn't make for a spontaneous thing. It wasn't too bad from a crowd perspective, and I must say that it's been a long time since I wasn't afraid to take off my shirt and get in the pool. I'm not quite at the point where I'm proud to do it, but at least I was able to do what several heavy-set men were not. I did notice a lot of them wading fully into the pool with their shirts on. Is this giving up for them, or just another sign of our slipping standards? Perhaps excited by my new found un-shame, I decided to try and swim a lap. The first half very easy, a cake walk. The second half, not so much. I tried a second lap but after half of that I knew it was time to throw in (or out) the towel. Still, a good day for the exercise brigade.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Great news that you're doing so well with the exercise. And feeling good about your body is the best thing well since "sliced bread." Thank goodness for Balthazar. Glad you recovered from the weekend. Love, MOM