Saturday, May 13, 2006

Year 2, Day 74: Car Accident!

This morning, following an especially disturbing NPR report regarding the fact that "there were no longer any checks and balances on the executive wing of our government," I apparently did not see a car coming through one of the world's most dangerous intersections and I crashed into another car. Luckily, nobody was hurt. I told the cop that I could drive away, but when I put the key in the ignition, it just made a 'dying noise.' Feeling stupider and unlucky then bad or broken, I just hung out in the misting rain, as people in buses craned their necks and people walking looked over their shoulders just a little too long to see what was happening. In my head I was calculating all the things from a time and money perspective that were about to go wrong, or become more complicated, but as everyone from the cop to the tow truck driver reminded me "be grateful. you can fix a broken car." This advice was later adjusted by self-same tow truck drive to not specifically apply to my car, but it was good advice all the same.

Breakfast
3 Eggs OVer Easy, One Broken
75% of 1 Sausage Link
Tea

Snack
1 half decaf coffee from Keltic Krust (painfully mediocre bakery across from tow year)
Celery with Super Chunky Peanut Butter (4 Tablespoons)
2 oz. 50% Cheddar

Lunch: Russo's $6.10
Red leaf, red lettuce, red onion
chicken, broccoli, chick peas, celery
feta, pepperoncini, escarole, oil & vinegar

Car Dealership
1 half-decaf coffee

Dinner
Three Eggs Over Easy
4 Slice Ham
2 oz. 50% Cheddar
Cheese of 1 Slice Pizza

Etc.
2 bites of a healthy choice bar

Of course, self-pity is a key ingredient to indulgence of the food variety, and in this regard I am no different in spirit than your typical pint of ice cream off the diet-diver. Though less extreme, I did two days worth of peanut butter that I had in my office (about 4 tablespoons) and I did eat the cheese off a slice of Pappa Gino's pizza and I did finish off the healthy choice bar that I started about 7 days ago. Though to be fair, I did split it with Magnolia. No doubt in the old days I would have been awash in cookie dough. It's just that something bad happened, it's both the haunting specter of how bad it could it have been, and the reality of taking all your stuff, valuable and trash alike, out of your wrecked vehicle.

Tomorrow if everything still feels OK, I am headed to the gym.

2 comments:

Don in CA said...

Sorry to hear about the car accident, Robert, and glad you suffered no more trauma than you describe....

WE are close to Boston---but no cigar--just a brief stopover down in Newport, RI for a Corenthal family bat mitzvah; we leave today for CT and head home Tuesday. Wish we had more time to come up to see the world's most famous SoBe blogger. SoBe it....

Love, m/d

Mom said...

Hi, Me too, sorry to hear about the accident but glad it wasn't any worse than it was. Nevertheless, it's upsetting and shakes you up and makes us all know how vulnerable our lives our...politics notwithstanding. Anyway, this too shall pass and there will be more successful days with SOBE but to tell you the truth it doesn't sound like you fared too badly with eating when it too could also have been much worse. Love, MOM