Monday, March 13, 2006

Year 2, Day 13: Sunday Brunch at the Blue Room


One of my very favorite places in the world to go for Brunch was the Blue Room, in Kendall Square, Massachusetts. Though there a lot of all-you-eat-brunches in the Boston area, this was was of an especially high quality. Things like real sausages, challah french toast and incredible side-salads were so delicious that you couldn't help but eat irresponsibly when there. Often we would have a savory visit to the line (endless buffet of five-star entrees) and a sweet one. Did I mention smoked meats? Dessert? Coffee? They had it all. Perhaps the only down side to hog-heaven there was that it was located below ground, so upon leaving, full, or bursting at the seams as I often was, you would have to mount the steep stairs to the street. Walking up stairs a problem? I realize it sounds petty, but after two hours of chowing down, you would have found it hard, too.
I think of that restaurant often on a rainy Sunday morning as this was. I have no complaints about eating the way I do now. But every now and again I like to remember when there were no boundaries. Aside from artery-clogging of course, eating like that saps your energy for the rest of the day; a nap and/or lounging around with the paper was about all we could muster. Laundry was simply UNTHINKABLE.

Breakfast
3 Eggs
2.5 Strips Louis Rich Turkey Bacon
3 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
Tea

Pre-Gym Snack
6 oz. plain yogurt
3 tablespoons super-chunky peanut butter
small pieces of banana that Magnolia didn't eat
some tiny crusts of french toast that Magnolia didn't eat
a few asparagus
a few peppers
1 oz. cracker barrel cheese
1 oz. jarlsburg
1/2 oz boston lite popcorn
Some bites of a pink lady apple

Lunch
Hamburger
Peppadews
Greek Salad with cabbage, feta

Dinner
Steak Tips
Broccoli
Emily's Sweet Peppers
Glass Yellow Tail

Etc.
4 Squares Burdick Dark Chocolate


Went four miles on the elliptical today and then another half mile around the track. I like the track; it's the one thing that when the music is good, it really just sails by. It helps to be able to watch people playing basketball, climbing rocks or what have you down in the gym. When I got home I was so hungry. At the gym, two televisions were on, one on Project Runway repeats and one on CNN. I must say that CNN is the most de-motivational thing to watch at the gym. It is simply contrary, on a psychological level to every message you are trying to believe at the gym. Messages such as "I am important", "I can make a difference" "I can achieve things" get totally squashed when you realize all the horrible things we are doing to the world, the atmosphere, and each other. How I keep from eating myself back to the jaws-of-life size I don't know.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Yes, the news is really almost unbearable...but we go on and do the best we can do. This after all is what you have been doing for more than a year with the SoBe and Ii applaud you for it.Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

The Blue Room was the place where Emily introduced to me the concept of an "auxilliary plate." That place was, indeed, somethin'.