Sunday, June 03, 2007

Year 3, Day 95: Continuing my Search for Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

It may seem odd or even self-destructive that I yearn to perfect the art of making chocolate chip cookies. Not sure why I feel so compelled. Of course, I used to collect records and Beatles memorabilia so I suppose I have always had the element a detective or searcher in me. For about five years in the late 80s and 90s I was obsessed with making the perfect Caesar salad. Both these things have something in common—they have relatively few ingredients; there is little room to make them badly; it's like you're riding a razor-line to success with moats of failure on both sides. Last week I fell soundly into the moats with my cookies. I followed the Neiman-Marcus recipe and failed miserably. But I think I know why: I used "Frookie" brown sugar from Whole Foods; and perhaps unwisely, I used unbleached, whole wheat flour. This week I used the Silver Palate recipe with Domino light brown sugar and pastry flour. The results: 100% improved. I did however fail to chill the cookie dough or grease the cookie sheet, resulting in a tray full of non-delineated cookies that adhered cruelly, and somehow unpredictably crisp-ily to the cookie sheet.

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!
Heritage Flakes
Strawberries
Blueberries
Banana
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Snack
Cookies

Lunch (at Carmen's)
My Salad
2 Hamburgers
1 Chocolate Chip Cookie

Post Workout Snack
6 oz. Stonyfield Plain Yogurt
3 Tablespoons Peanut Butter

Dinner
Turkey Crumble (Robert & Emily combined)
Lettuce Leaves

Dessert
More Chocolate Chip Cookies

In the continued grip of the Chocolate Cookie disease.

Did a great workout today; 7 miles in 65 minutes; followed by 100 ab crunches and 20 squat thrusts. Saw bluestars, but did not seek professional help. Then I chased Ruby all over the soccer field. Later, I ate a lot of cookies. Overall, probably did not justify my caloric intake visa-vis cookies with my exercise. C'est la vie.

No comments: