Sunday, March 18, 2007

Year 3, Day 18: Skating

Had a weirdly timed workout today, around lunchtime, which is tough because I don't want to work out hungry and I usually want to eat when I'm done. So in this case I had my usual postworkoutsnack beforehand, and then had a regular snack after as lunch. It was a good workout, 7 miles in 59 minutes plus 70 ab crunches. I swear one day I will have rock hard abs. Though I feel certain that I'll have to a lot of the guy leaning on the thing with a weight and going from side-to-side in order to do it. You probably have no idea what I"m talking about, but when I read this years from now I'll know exactly what I mean.

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!
Heritage Flakes
Blueberries
Banana
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee
1 piece of french toast (a small cube, the size of a sugar cube)

preworkoutsnack
6 oz yogurt
peanut butter
a few nuts

post workout lunch
1 slice balthazar bread
2 oz 50% jalapeno cheddar
1 hard boiled egg

at skating
popcorn

dinner
shrimp
string beans & snap peas
a little more popcorn

A winter tradition has been to take Ruby skating. It's a bit of an ordeal because you've got to get dressed for the cold and then get over there, and this time Ruby really really wanted to be independent. I'm glad I told her before the first time we ever went skating "Know what we're going to do here? Fall. A lot. That's what ice skaters do. they fall. A lot. Don't think you're not going to fall, because we are both going to fall. Then we're going to get up. and have popcorn and hot chocolate." And what do you know, that's exactly what happens. Every time. This time, Ruby wanted to go without me, and she did, several times around the rink. The rink at the Dedham VFW was not as good as the one in Wellesley (but did think it might be?) but they ARE open as a public ice skating rink year round. So they've got that going for them. Their commitment to snacks was way below poor though, as unlike Wellesley, they didn't have enough employees to dish out the snacks during breaks, resulting in long lines that had no place to go because there in addition to no counter help there was no line management. To add insult to injury, the popcorn was old and the hot chocolate was watery. Ruby didn't want either- she only wanted to get back on the ice. Which she did, until the hour was up.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Sounds like great fun. Glad Ruby is enjoying iceskating.....and passed up the inferior snacks. Good dad! Love, MOM