Monday, October 30, 2006

Year 2, Day 242: Twas the Night Before All Hallow's Eve

Most Mondays can feel like waking up from a night of binge-drinking (metaphorically speaking) but the Monday after Daylight Savings Time seems even worse because somehow it's darker and colder. Just trying to figure out where I left off on Friday was a challenge, but with a Russo's salad I was able to get through it. I knew I was in trouble though when I saw the price of my salad—$4.58— I think an all time low. I knew I would be hungry later. Then, I heard that the oldest son of the nurse at Ruby's school was killed in an auto accident. She is a wonderful and beloved woman and, well, I just pulled up my chair to the almonds, and it was all over.


Breakfast
2 Soft-Boiled Eggs plus 1 Yolk
2 small pieces of Balthazar Rye
Green Tea

Snackz
3 Pieces Beef Jerky
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
35 Almonds
1 oz Boston Lite Popcorn

Lunch: Russo's ($4.58)
Red leaf, red pepper, red onion
broccoli, mushroom, feta, chicken
balsamic vinegar

Dinner:
Flounder a la Emily
Green Beans (Though Magnolia ate most of them)
A little bit of left over Blue Ribbon BBQ

When I got home it was time for our annual "Prepare the Candy" for the little trickortreatatti. This has been a banner year for Halloween at our house; we dressed up our porch and Maria helped Ruby carve pumpkins and tonight we isolated the candy and the games (little mazes with balls) and mini-playdohs. I got nice plastic bags with orange twisty-ties, not the paper kind. Ruby and I knocked out about 35 bags in an hour. We had a great time, but like clockwork, Emily was yelling about how there's too much candy, and how we were 'over budget.' She's really not into the spirit of Halloween, me thinks. Tomorrow night, at 64 degrees, we'll see who's right.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I was so sorry to hear about the terrible loss for Ruby's school nurse. And impressed with Ruby's thinking about it (reported elsewhere by Emily). Glad you all had Halloween to think about. I'm sure it helped. FYU... it may be colder in the morning now but it's also lighter. It's that it gets dark so early in the afternoon that makes me crazy with the time change. I'm headed for Hawaii in two weeks. (Ruth and I are going to play bridge, golf and sightsee. Eating will be in there somewhere. Love, MOM