Saturday, October 07, 2006

Year 2, Day 217: Poker Again?

So. Poker tonight. How can I watch my caloric intake? What sins will be visited upon me tonight? We continue to try to use Russo's for our catering, and though we have not yet made it inexpensive, it's definitely cheaper (and better for you) than Chinese. As I have previously reported, poker is a high-volume, high-protein, high-fat night, which makes challenges me to have mostly a low everything else day. Usually I try to have salad, but today it was Sushi, which is OK since thats high in protein but low in fat. I was compelled to have a fourth piece of jerky just to make it through the four o'clock hour, but otherwise I was pretty good.

Breakfast
2 Soft boiled eggs
1 slice of balthazar toast
green tea

snack
coffee
four pieces of beef jerky (140 calories)
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar


Lunch: Sushi 21
Sashimi Special

Poker Dinner:
1 diet coke
1 UFO (Beer)
Pistachios
Almonds/Cashews
Olives
Three Roll Mops (Cheese, Roast Beef, Turkey, Ham, Salami) Mustard
Pickles

I did have a beer tonight because basically whatever I was trying to do was not working. I had to buy back in several times but a few games turned it around for me and I believe I cashed in the big winner. I'm not sure if I have explained how one of the poker players insists we have pie every week, but he does and if you try to argue with him, you go down a rabbit-hole of irrelevant statements and petulant barbs designed to provoke without proposing any ideas. For nearly a year this made me just provide pie of all different flavors, but tonight we took a vote and we resolved to eliminate pie from the menu. Now before you cheer the health-conscious poker players, the decision was mostly financial and environmental; that is, only four of us at most even eat a pie (though a few of us, who shall go unnamed, have seconds). There is almost always an entire half of a pie left over, which in the paraphrased words of a 50s song, has to "go home with the date that brought it." The new vote was for something sweet, but something smaller, like "rugleach or frozen snickers" I heard someone suggest. No kidding, that was the suggestion.

1 comment:

Mom said...

They sound like desperate men. Anyway, I stand correct as for as the buritos situation goes. Why do you need a sweet at all at the Poker table? Love, MOM