Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Year 2, Day 237: Though it's "French", It Contains No Crustaceans

Yesterday I was at Dunkin Donuts and I suppose you could say it's the food-addict's equivalent of ogling a lot of young pretty girls (that are made with sugar, flour and trans-fats). I am by now accustomed to people loading up their waxy-paper bags filled with donuts and munchkins and always too many napkins and coffee-stirers but yesterday I saw a new product that I just couldn't believe. It's called "(New) Warm French Toast Twist." Though knowing the type of folks who work at DD I'm not sure they can hold true on the warm part, but that's what the microwave is for. As if their donuts weren't bad enough for you, now they're saying this is the perfect treat "for any time of day." First they convinced you that donuts, which were really a treat for cops or World's Fair denizens, could be eaten any time of day, but especially for breakfast. Now they're trying to convince us that this 380 calorie, 46-gram of carbohydrate, 16g of sugar treat, whose ancestry is breakfast, can be eaten ANY TIME OF DAY.

THEIR MARKETING: French toast, with a twist.
You'll love our new Warm French Toast Twist: pastry dough wrapped around delicious, sweet filling, and brushed lightly with glaze. Served warm! Try it with a Caramel-Cinnamon coffee.

Still someone needs to explain to me how it differs significantly from the 'sticky roll' or 'coffee roll.'


Breakfast
5 Slices Ham
1 Egg, 2 Yolks
1 Slice Balthazar Bread

Lunch: Russo's ($4.82)
Red Leaf, red pepper, red onion
chicken, feta, broccoli, mushrooms
balsamic vinegar

Snack:
2 Pieces Beef Jerky
1 oz Boston Lite Popcorn

Dinner
Robert's Magnifico Turkey Crumble
Lettuce Wraps

Dessert
The Very Last HoneyCrisp Apple of the Season

Dunkin Donuts does provide nutritional information at their Web site, which is of course, another way in which the poor are disenfranchised— they can't readily access information about the junk food which is consistently the least expensive food option they have. On the plus side, Dunkin Donuts is so over the top about conveying what is in and not in their foods from an allergy perspective, that they aside from what you would expect (Peanuts, Soy, Tree Nuts, Wheat, Eggs and Milk) their list also lists FISH and CRUSTACEANS. Now come on. Am I missing something? Is there any item on the Dunkin Menu ANYWHERE that really requires the disclaimer "CONTAINS NO CRUSTACEANS?" If you don't believe me, go to their site:
https://www.dunkindonuts.com/aboutus/nutrition/Product.aspx?Category=Bakery&id=DD-964

Spongebob, I think I sense a product tie-in...

1 comment:

Mom said...

I have always wondered whether or not there were crustaceans in Dunkin Donut's products. Just one of those things...kidding. I am not one of those people who likes to know what is and is not in my food. Yes, I like to be surprised. I try however, to stay out of Dunkin Donuts if possible. Too tempting. Love, MOM