Sunday, October 29, 2006

Year 2, Day 241: Sunday at the Family Gym

I thought I would get to the gym today, but Emily had so much work to do that we agreed that I would take Ruby on Magnolia's nap and that is usually my time. I suppose I could have made it work some other time of day, but Sunday nights are kind of necessary for everyone to get settled into their places before we hit that routine again Monday morning. With days being shorter and colder and old farm houses being draftier, it takes more and more effort to get up in the morning. I have only worked out at night once, but my experience with working out at various times of day tell me that the earlier you work out, the easier it is. That's not science, just my own feeling about the whole thing. I did take Ruby to the family gym, and during that time, seeing that she was well-ensconced with other kids, I walked a mile around the track. It wasn't a workout, but it was something.

Breakfast
Kashi
Heritage Flakes
1 small banana
blueberries
Coffee

Snack
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
2 Sesame Rye Vita Crackers
2 Joy Sticks

Lunch:
93% Sirloin Burger
Greek Salad
Balsamic Vinegar
Peppadews
Pickles

Dinner:
Steak Tips & Broccoli

Amazingly, I went to Costco and Whole Foods today and it really amazes me how people just GORGE themselves on the free offering. I mean it, it's like some of these people have never seen FOOD before. It's like they're kids and it's Christmas Morning, or worse, they're dogs and it's free milk-bone time. Even more annoying is the cart full of a family where the mother immediately sets about handing out treats like they were loot bags at a birthday party, while hapless Costco ladies in their shower caps look on. I have pretty much taken a vow of refusal of these free items since an unfortunate food-poisoning issue with a smoked turkey cube at the Fenway Star Market about nine years ago. And it's a good thing too, because it used to be that there was never a free sample that I did not sample. Ever. Whether it was goose pate or free pineapple, I sampled everything everywhere across this land whenever I got the chance. I'll write about the story one day, but not today. Today is just where I tell you that the people who plan to come to Costco "hungry" really bug me. Sorry if that's uncharitable, it's just the way I feel.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Okay, I admit it, I'm a Costco sampler...but hopefully a discriminating one. It's not that you're hungry when you go...it's just that with all the food around...and so available...it can be hard to resist. But I'm glad you do. I hate it when it gets dark so early but so be it for now. If you can go through the HBO specials and see one called "Hacking Democracy" it's chilling but right on. It's about the unreliability ( to say it lightly, of the voting machinges that are counting perhaps 80% of the vote. Love, MOM