Friday, October 20, 2006

Year 2, Day 232: Making the Most of Your JCC Memebership

Was an easy going day. I went in late to work and worked out in the morning after getting both kids off to school. A miserable, rainy morning, but still warm. Once again, I did 6.5 miles on the elliptical, and in under 60 minutes. The whole time I was on I had the machine closest to the gym, so I had a good view of the step aerobics class going on there. To my amazement, I noticed not one, but two septuagenerian men in there. I have to say, for the first half hour, despite the fact that they were outnumbered 15 to 2, they did very well. In the second half hour I noted that they were paying less attention and seemed to be letting their eyes wander (a no-no in co-ed gym experiences). I thought, 'those guys are really making the most of their JCC membership. Bless 'em!"

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean
Heritage Flakes
Banana
Blueberries
(New) Unsweetened Soy Milk

Scraps:
Buttered bread (Balthazar) that Magnolia didn't eat

Post-workout snack:
6 oz. plain yogurt
super chunky peanut butter


Lunch: New Ginza
Salad
Miso Soup
2 octopus, three tuna, two whitefish, two salmon
pickled ginger

Snack
1/2 oz Boston Lite Popcorn
1 oz. Peanuts

Dinner:
Robert's Amazing Turkey Crumble
Lettuce Wraps

Though Emily brought the turkey crumble to our house, I made it what is today. And why not, I have a talent for the melange. Here is the recipe, and of course, I made up the amounts because I have no idea how to estimate them and I only ever use measurements when I'm following a recipe. Just do what feels right.

Oil
Garlic
Onions
Peppers
Cabbage, Celery, Leeks or Mung Beans (or anything you have in the house that won't over power the other flavors. I wouldn't use asparagus, f'rinstance)
1 lb Ground Turkey (for three adults)
Fish Sauce (3 Tablespoons)
Oyster Sauce (1 Tablespoon)
Soy Sauce (1/4 cup)
Red Chili Sauce (1-2 Teaspoons)
Balsamic Vinegar (1 Tablespoon)

Heat the oil in the wok, and add the garlic, then add the onions and other vegetables that take some time to cook (or sweat). Add the oyster sauce. Cook a few minutes. If you more vegetables to add, add them. Then add the fish sauce and chili sauce. Add the ground turkey and soy sauce simultaneously. Stir-fry to ensure even cooking and piece-size. Add Red Chili sauce. Leave on medium high heat for a few minutes. Before serving, finish with the balsamic, but do let it cook for a few minutes afterwards. Serve with lettuce or cabbage wraps. Lettuce is crunchier, but less flexible. Cabbage in whole leaves holds the mixture better and is actually a wrap. Romaine is good, but it's more like a boat. Obviously, the longer you cook the mix between adding liquids and the longer you cook it, the more firm your sauce-mixture will be. If you cook it too quickly you will get a lot of leaking lettuce wraps.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Thanks for the recipe. What is fish sauce and where do you get it? Don't make fun of those old men. Remember your mother is approaching 70. Love, MOM