Sunday, May 28, 2006

Year 2, Day 90: The Beatles and the Next Generation


Most people spent their holiday weekend mowing the lawn or doing other manly things. I decided to take Ruby to go see her cousin play softball up north. Really, it was a perfect day for it. It wasn't too hot and there was a nice breeze blowing. My nephew, by the way, hit a double and caught an inning-ending fly ball from the other team while I watched, so it was very worth it. In my short, but miserable time as a Little Leaguer, I don't think I did either of those for the entire season. But this was mostly because I was so busy pouting on the bench. I got up, had my usual breakfast and then Ruby and I vamoosed in the new Mini-Van (she only wants to go everywhere in the mini-van. It is an insult to be carried around in anything else). We had breakfast with my mom, brother, sister-in-law and niece and nephew.

Breakfast
2.5 slices Turkey Bacon
Two Eggs, Over Easy
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
Tea

Snack
Coffee
1 slice balthazar multi-grain bread
romaine/cabbage/feta salad

Brunch/Lunch
Black and Blue Tuna
1 bite of scallion pancake
bok choy
small caesar salad
some fruit (2 blackberries, 2 very thin slices of honeydew)

Dinner
Hamburger
Peppadews
Pickles

My nephew is in the middle of a Beatles fascination and grilled me extensively on my knowledge.
"How many Beatles albums do you have?"
"Why did they break up?"
"Did John Die?"
Though I was able to answer all of these questions by chapter and with verse, I decided our morning would be better spent if we asked the local talent (aka bassist and guitarist singing at our brunch) if they knew any Beatles songs. They did, and they played: "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," "Ticket to Ride" and "I Need You." My nephew, obsessed with "Sgt. Pepper" was enthralled but not quite sure that these were Beatles songs. Ruby, having just listened to two out of three on the car ride, was probably comparing the versions in her head (you can guess who won). The guitarist told us that he played in them in order, as they were on the "Help" album. This drew blank, but appreciative stares from the kids. We rejoined the brunch table.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Perhaps it's in the genes..this fascination with the Beatles. But I'm all for it. Noah was quite impressed with your knowledge......I think he enjoyed hearing me tell my parents about his success at the game. Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

It must be the genes because his cousin Lucien is also obsessed with the Beatles. Ask Jude. It's pretty nuts. But better than obsessing on war facts or something equally creepy. hope we can see all of you soon. love Dara