Monday, May 08, 2006

Year 2, Day 70: Mumsday

I am not, by trade, an allergy sufferer. Sure, I'm allergic to cats and penicillin, and I can never eat marzipan again after the 'incident', but I don't have your typical red-eyed, sneezy, droopy, itchy allergies. Until this weekend, where I inexplicably have developed all of those afflictions, which caused me to run out to the local CVS to buy a box of Claritin. Deeply suspicious of all drug companies, and filled with paranoid ravings of Kevin Trudeau (www.naturalcures.com) I'm nearly convinced to leave the store without a box of anything. At the last minute I wisen up and take the box, but I insist on the 12 hour version instead of the 24 hour version, or the mysterious 'redi-tabs.' I note that almost all the Claritin varieties are sold out.

Breakfast
2 Eggs over EZ
75% of 1 Chicken Chorizo Sausage link
Tea

Snack
Celery with Peanut Butter
Medium Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Lunch: Peter's Kitchen
Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken
Feta, Pepperocini

Dinner
Flounder a la Em
Kicked up Sauteed Cabbage

I must take another moment to discuss the Chicken Chorizo Sausage from Bell & Evans. I'm not sure why I got it in my heads that Bell & Evans are the "Chicken Makers of Distinction" but it's in my head. It might have something to do with the fact that my Mother-in-Law used to say "Bell and Evans" as a synonym FOR chicken. In fact, I'm not sure she ever sent me to the supermarket for chicken, it was always for "Bell and Evans." For a long time we served Ruby exclusively Bell & Evans Chicken Nuggets (which I must say, having finished nearly 50% of them, are very good). Now Emily discovered a new product, which claims to have 84% less fat than its pork equivalent. I've only found at it DeWars in Newton, and it's not listed on their web site (Bellandevans.com, natch). I noted they had about four varieties of fresh (not cooked) sausage, including Rosemary and I think a Feta/Garlic. I had the Chorizo and I was hooked. Emily fried some in oil, and we made the other one on the grill, and a third on the broiler. All very yummy. You'll be reading about it here for a long time.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Well at least the grill is in use. Looking forward to seeing all of you over Memorial Day. Love, MOM

PS Hope you have been successful vrs the flying insects.