Thursday, May 11, 2006

Year 2, Day 73: This Way Madness Lies

Often I am asked, "when are you going to be done with this diet?" Or "when will you start eating normally?" People regard my sometimes strict-as-a-monk SoBe diet pledge as some kind of TEMPORARY thing. It's not temporary. Not only that, I'm starting to make good headway into Ruby's food as well. She never eats hot dogs or hamburgers with buns, and with few exceptions, we have mostly banned high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils from the house. Sure, we have to pay a little more for the Whole Foods Brand Organic Fluff instead of the 99¢-for-a-gallon of Fluff at the regular supermarket, but it's worth it because I can sleep at night. Anyway, I never stop dreaming of a time when I am so fit that eating pizza is no big deal. But until then, I'm content to live the South Beach way.

Breakfast
Eggs Over Easy (What Else)
4 Slices Virginia Ham
2 oz. 50% Cheddar
Tea

Snack
Medium Dunkin Donuts Coffee
1 Joy Stick
2 stalks celery
1 stalk celery, with super chunky peanut butter

Lunch: russo's ($5.81)
Red leaf, red lettuce, red onion
chicken, broccoli, chick peas, celery
feta, pepperoncini, escarole, oil & vinegar

Dinner
Steak tips
Broccoli
Asparagus

I am starting to have a thing for celery. Long time readers know that I am a creature of routine, and I like to eat the same things a lot because it's easier than thinking too hard about a limited repertoire of foods. So it's been great to have celery at work—I just grab a few stalks whenever I want and eat them and they are guilt free and crunchy, which is good because sometimes you just want to eat something for no reason and celery is PERFECT for that.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Again can't really do justice to how proud I am of you and your resolve. It continues to be inspirational for all who read about it...and it's just great for your kids too. Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear about the yummy kale snacks one day! Mmmmmm.