Friday, January 05, 2007

Year 2, Day 308: Nuts, Nuts, Nuts

Today started with peanut butter and I tried my hardest to resist all the nuts in the world as they tinkle their little salty selves at me, hoping to be chomped on into a buttery paste in my mouth. I did very well until right at the end of the day on my way out the door, a brand new bucket of Costco cashews caught my eye and led me down the path, 20 cashews down to be exact. Damn! I was so close.

Breakfast
2 Slices of Balthazar Multi-Grain Bread (eaten as 4 small pieces)
3 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
Coffee

Snack
1 Extra Smokey
4 Beef Jerky Sticks
20 Cashews
1 oz Boston Lite Popcorn

Lunch: Domenic's
Romaine Salad with Tuna, Goat Cheese

Dinner
Swordfish a la Emily
Cabbage & Onions

Some friends were over the other day and we briefly discussed why they love the contents of my refrigerator. While I do like to stock my fridge with goodies, especially if I know what the people who are coming over will like, over all I find that I shop more sensibly now then I ever have before. That may be because I have children; or that may be because I am only buying what I eat, rather than what I THINK I will eat. Before I lived a healthy lifestyle, I used to buy a lot of stuff that I thought I might eat one day. While this seems ridiculous (and was), it was quite common. Emily IS known to raise high her eyebrows when she unloads the grocery bags, but back in the day it was like a Vern Goes to the Supermarket picture, with her saying "You bought what?" Now I find that I think about meals one or two days in the future, and I think about snacks. I make sure I have everything the four people in my house will eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and dessert. Anyone who knows me knows we do pretty well and don't go hungry. I still continue to experiment—I bought the Whole Foods version of Cheez-its the other day (and they were a bomb, not THE bomb). I suppose I will always be taken in my marketing and so the grocery store will always get an extra five dollars of mine if they come out with a new version of something (now with Cashews!).

1 comment:

Mom said...

I had a banner weekend of shopping..Food Emporium Saturday morning...Sunday AM Costco and Sunday afternoon Whole Foods...How's that for a trifecta? Amazing don't you think for just one person.....sometimes two and all the time four hungry cats. Love, MOM