Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Year 2, Day 306: Shocked, Shocked at NutriPals


PediaSure, for those of you who don't have kids under 10, is a company that found success selling a Gatorade-style product with less sugar and marketing it as an 'electrolyte replacement drink' for kids who've thrown up or had a bout of diarrhea. Their name to me says "icky medical substance masquerading as a treat" but they've managed to parlay that brand recognition into a line of drinks and energy bars aimed at kids. Their aim is of course wonderful, but their products fall a bit short of that aim.

Their Web site says: "NutriPals Balanced Nutrition Bars and Drinks provide smart nutrition in a take-along snack-with a taste kids love. NutriPals bars contain about 2 times the protein and fiber of the leading bars kids eat, and NutriPals drinks have 44% less sugar per ounce than the leading kids' yogurt drinks. Plus, NutriPals snacks are a good source of over 20 essential vitamins and minerals kids need to stay strong and healthy!"

What their Web site doesn't say is that these bars contain things you SHOULDN'T give your kids (partially hydrogenated oils, artificial colors, high fructose corn syrup, RED 40, Blue 1) as well as things you PROBABLY shouldn't give your kids like FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES, a dietary supplement/sweetener that has 'half the sweetness of sugar' and can be used by the good bacteria in your stomach. However, according to PharmaSave, "Since young children may have undiagnosed allergies or medical conditions, this dietary supplement should not be used in children under 10 years of age unless recommended by a physician." Whoops, that's not what my NutriPal told me!


Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!
Heritage Flakes
Ikea Muesli
Blueberries
Banana
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Snack
4 Sticks Beef Jerky
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar

Lunch: Russo's ($5.97)
Red leaf, red pepper, red onion
broccoli, broccoli slaw, feta
mushrooms, chicken breast, balsamic vinegar

Dinner
Shrimp
Leeks

Dessert
6 Square of Green & Black Espresso Chocolate
2 Handfuls of Newman's Own Microwave Popcorn

I've been feeling a lot hungrier lately, and I wonder if that's from some kind of hibernating instinct, or something that makes you want to eat more when you're cold. For a while now I have been joking with people about my having shed my 'protective layer of fat.' It is a fact that I do feel a lot colder now more often, but that could be a factor of age as much as anything else. So I have taken to wearing this very small jacket that a company we work with sent me. It's a medium, and I can't believe it fits me but whenever I wear it people say it makes me look small. I say this is because it's black and black is slimming (ask any woman) but who knows? I have also had to take to wearing gloves, but I don't need the electric gloves just yet. Amazingly, I have managed to make it to January with the same pair of gloves I purchased in October, which is a first in my adult life. Ah, and I thought the thrill was gone.

No comments: