Sunday, January 07, 2007

Year 2, Day 309: The Bar Mitzvah

Well it's been a long time in coming, I would say nearly a year and the day finally arrived—my nephew's Bar Mitzvah. Now whether they are surrounded by big parties or just big emotions, it's a big deal. Amazingly, with all our time to prepare, my side of the family was not very prepared. We were really scrambling out the door today to get there on time; and I did not do any of the food prep I wanted to do. Based on the peculiar construction of the day (Ruby had gymnastics at 10:45AM and we had to be at formal pictures, an hour away at 2pm) there was no way for me to go the gym, which I desperately wanted to do. I had take the past few Fridays off and I been able to have an extra workout in my week, but this week I was not so lucky and Saturday wasn't going to work either for a gym visit. Also, I wanted to make sure that Ruby Emily and I were tanked up on snacks because I sensed (and was proven right) that we wouldn't be eating until late and I did not want us devolving into low-blood sugar behavior. Unfortunately, I barely fed myself (Ruby and Emily were a different problem) and as a result ate a lot more and different than I wanted today. All in all, it's still better than it could have been, but not as good as it should have been.

Breakfast
2 slices Balthazar Bread with super chunky peanut butter
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
1 Kodiak Cake (That's a pancake-more on them later)
Coffee

Lunch:
Romaine and Savoy Cabbage salad with Tuna
Balsamic Vinegar

Snacks
2 oz. Boston Lite Popcorn
1.5 oz. Vanilla Stonyfield Yogurt with Kashi Go Lean!
10 Pistachios

Bar-Mitzvah Cocktail Hour
3 Chicken Dumplings
1 Coconut Chicken Stick
2 Beef Teriyaki Sticks
Diet Coke

Beef
Chicken
Broccoli, Peppers and Mushrooms

Dessert
Fruit Salad
1 Chocolate Parfait in a Chocolate Cup
Decaf Coffee

Am I a freak? Because this was my nephew's Bar-Mitzvah, there were a lot of people from my Brother's wife's family and far-flung parts of my family that had not seen me in years. They were all falling down all over themselves because they could not believe I had lost 50 lbs. If you are a long time reader you know I hit that goal sixty days ago and so I have finally come to accept that number. The fact that I bought a 36-inch belt and I have to use it on the fourth notch probably says something too, but I'm listening right now. I can't go out and buy new clothes, I just have to deal with the stuff I bought when Iost my first 30 lbs. Anyway, people cannot believe the way I look and I suppose that is very satisfying, but it's also very complex. For a long time I was not able to properly accept a compliment. Secondly, I will always think that while it was great to lose 50lbs, it was not great to have gotten to a point where I HAD to lose it, or worse, HAD IT to lose. But I gracefully accepted everyone's nice words and tried to focus on my nephew, which is after all, why we were all there. And of course, to eat the little chocolate parfaits in a cup...those were good!

No comments: