Sunday, January 07, 2007

Year 2, Day 310: Not a Priest, Not Yet a Doctor

The day after, is of course a reason to gather again as all the family is in town. Though I resisted the bagel, I did eat 4 slices of quiche. I was eager to get back to the gym, and Emily was kind enough to let me go. I did my first ever 7 miles in 60 minutes—and then I did a half-mile cool down in the next five minutes, for a total of 7.5 miles in 65 minutes. I treated myself to an apple with super chunky peanut butter (as I did not have any plain yogurt, which I didn't miss).

Breakfast
2 soft boiled eggs
2 slices Balthazar bread
coffee

Brunch/Lunch
4 slices of Artichoke Quiche
Lox
Coffee

Postworkout Snack
1.5 Apples with Super Chunky Peanut Butter

Dinner
Swordfish
Salad

Because of my revolutionary weight loss, people in my life continue to come to me with questions ("I had a bagel this morning. Is that OK? I'm going to work out later.") as if I were a priest or a doctor. While I am flattered at the attention, I am not even a nutritionist. I can't really give out advice and always take great pains to point this out to people. However, if people know that and still want my OPINION, then I am happy to give that to them. Mostly people want a yes-no answer (good to skip meals? No.) Since I was raised in the Socratic tradition of 20-minutes answers to yes-no questions I find that type of exchange unsatisfying. And it's good that I know that because had I followed in my parent's footsteps and become a doctor, I'm sure I would be very unhappy with that specific facet of that lifestyle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But if you had become a doctor, we'd have had one more relative to hit up for free medical advice:-)
Love you the way and for what you are,
Auntd.

Mom said...

You would have been a great doctor....but nevertheless people who have lost a great deal of weight are in a very good position to advise people about the up's and down's of dieting. So dispense away with good cheer.....I continue to be very proud of you....Love, MOM