Sunday, January 14, 2007

Year 2, Day 317: Will Work Out for Peanut Butter

Today I realized the only reason I really continue to exercise is that so I can eat peanut butter. And lots and lots of it. For the most part, I really keep off the stuff except on workout days. Occasionally I have it as breakfast but I can really get carried away with a spoon and a jar, which amazingly, is not much different how I used to be growing up and in college. Of all the foods that I ate in irresponsible quantities, Peanut butter is probably the only one that I still carry the same candle for now. Mostly, this is because I have discovered Teddies, which I often wax about here. Teddies has proven to me that I should speak to every parent in the world and convince them to throw away their JIF, Skippy (even if it is the "organic"), Peter Pan and other sugar-laden brands and embrace the one true Peanut Butter of all Peanut Butters, Teddie. With only two ingredients, peanuts and salt, it just doesn't get any better, unless you get the super chunky kind. And take a tip from me—you need to mix it up good in the beginning but if you eat it as frequently as we do here, you won't need to refrigerate it. Refrigerating peanut butter is like putting heating up ice cream—it really kills the whole experience of the texture and consistency.

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!
Heritage Flakes
Ikea Muesli
Blueberries
Banana
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

snack
1 oz Popcorn/Smartfood

Lunch
Trio meats Blue Ribbon
Big Salad

Postworkout Snack
6 oz plain yogurt
4-5 tablespoons Super Chunky Peanut BUtter

Dinner
Brisket
Cauliflower
Broccoli

As I am nearing the end of my second year, I am very happy that I have gotten into a groove as far as exercise goes. Today, I went 6.5 miles 65 minutes which is not necessarily that great because I like to have gone seven miles, but sometimes the time allowed and the conditions mean you've got to get off the machine. I continue to contemplate other exercise machines, but for now it's going to be the elliptical. I'm only up to level five and it goes a lot higher. I haven't taken it through all the paces (urban, hill, etc.) so that's going to be tough too. Then there's that stair-stepper. Plus all the resistance and strength-training equipment. I'm working up to it, slowly. As anyone who knows me will tell you, two years to work up to it is not that slow for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spoon-in-jar PB rocks!! It's genetic.

Mom said...

I don't know. I'm still skeptical about peanut butter in a jar. Now grinding your own at Whole Foods and eating it on the spot...that's great. But I agree refrigeration really does a job on it. You retain only the merest suggestion of what the true fresh peanut butter was like. Love, MOM