Thursday, January 04, 2007

Year 2, Day 307: Nuts to the Crown Cafe

I was doing well until a thing blew up around 4:30pm today at work. Then, I hit the 50 almond mark. That really isn't good news. There isn't anything else to write. I really can't and shouldn't keep nuts in my office, or anywhere on the premises. I just can't be around them. I have given up a lot of things on my diet (sugar, milk, bread, pasta, potatoes, subs, pizza) but nuts are like the last hoorah. In the words of Brokeback Mountain "I just can't quit you" (said to any pile of nuts, even bad, sort of greasy planters peanuts in an airport cafe somewhere). I noted that about a year ago (March 8, 2006's post, to be exact, I was having the same nut-problem).

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!
Heritage Flakes
Ikea Muesli
Blueberries
Banana
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Snack
4 Beef Jerky Sticks
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
1.5 oz Boston Lite Popcorn
53 Almonds

Lunch: Crown's Cafe
Chicken Kebab Salad with Feta

Dinner
Tilapia Emily
Cauliflower

Dessert
7 Squares of Green & Black Espresso Chocolate

Another word about Crown's Cafe. We went for a very fast walk today (there were five of us) and the general consensus was that even though we all had bad individual experiences, we would all give Crown's Cafe one more try. Just to, you know, rule it out completely or realize that they had a few bumps in the road to greatness. Sadly, my report is not a happy one. The service was awful. I know there are bigger words to describe rotten service, but I have eschewed them because Crown's doesn't even deserve that. The food was not bad, per se. But their inability to properly wait on us at the counter, to get a simple salad order right, or to beat the very modest example of the predecessors have left me with no choice but to cross them off my list and return to Christos Seven-Star, which I have avoided for nearly a year (last post with Christos in it was February 2006). While their salad is overwhelmingly large, made with iceberg, and probably ill-washed, I do not feel I can support someone who thinks changing their restaurant from "Peter's" to "Crowns" is a good marketing decision. It just feels too wrong.

Don't even ask about the chocolate.

1 comment:

Mom said...

As I said to my bridge partner after a particularly unremarkable evening...(she being a chocoholic) "There's always chocolate"....a paraphrase of Humphrey Bogart's great "We'll always have Paris." As for the nuts....I suppose you need some kind of outlet...and if they are unsalted I can't really see the harm. Love, MOM