Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Year 2, Day 230: Free Fallin'

Let's start with the good news. There was once again a sheet cake in the office for an employee's birthday and I didn't even flinch. But on the bad side we went to celebrate at the Chinese Place and there were a few non-SoBe friendly things, like "Peppered Chicken", which turned out to be deep-fried and covered in a sugary, gloopy sauce that was DELICIOUS. The other items were all OK, but there's no doubt that it was a 700 calorie lunch if it was a calorie at all. I did have the good sense to skip the spicy wontons altogether, though, for once. Feel like I've been in a bit of downward spiral lately. Could be the change of weather.

Breakfast
2 Eggs, Plus 2 Yolks
1 Slice Balthazar Rye
Green Tea

Snack
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
1 oz. Popcorn
2 Pieces beef jerky

Lunch: Chang Shin Juan
Boneless Spare Ribs
String Beans with Pork (interestingly, these were dry-cooked string beans, not gloopy).
Chun King Pork (Spicy, with Cabbage)
Chicken with Spinach (SoBe A+)
Peppered Chicken (SoBe F)

Dinner: Pho Pasteur
Green Salad (iceberg)
Sashimi (Tuna, Yellowtail, Whitefish)
A few bites of grilled chicken

I know there are families that can go out and their kids behave. I don't know any of them, but I know they are out there because occasionally we sit next to them, or across from them in a restaurant. Or Emily and I will see them when we're out without the children. I'm not sure how you get those children, but mine are the ones that need to take a few laps around the fish tank until they get hungry enough to eat. Ruby actually needed to leave the table, I took Magnolia to stand next to huge fish tank and a couple with a 2.5 year old boy started talking to me (a sometimes annoying facet of parenthood). I noted that their boy needed a new diaper, but they just kept on blithely eating and talking. The father said to the boy (who was shouting at every fish that he called "Nemo") "What do you want to eat?" His answer: "Corn." The father's reply "Okay." I surveyed the table; there was not one corn niblet to be found. Magnolia and I returned to our own sweet-smelling table, and waited for our order, which she didn't eat, and nearly slid across the table, Joe Pesci style. I thought "One day they're both going to WANT to go out to eat." So I can't give up now. Just got to tough out these first seven years.

1 comment:

Mom said...

No don't give up. How they eat now is not a predictor of how they will eat when they are older. And they eat pretty well now....maybe not when they're out. Watch those Chinese lunches. love, MOM