Monday, October 23, 2006

Year 2, Day 235= 600th Day On My Diet

The 600th day on the South Beach diet is for me, no more reason to reflect than any other day. I did treat myself to a haircut today, which always, and has always, made me feel better. My hair seems to grow incredibly fast and I as a kid I was known for being quite a mop-top. The guys at my barber's are three brothers and their dad. I've been going there for about six years. I don't miss the fancy stylists at all, except that I did always love getting my hair washed. But now that I wash the hair of both my kids, I don't feel that I'm missing the experience all that much. So the brother cutting my hair says to me "So, you're really keeping the pounds off, huh? How are you doing that?" Then I feel like the character who is called a chicken in the movies— do I have to start telling him about the glycemic index? About giving up pizza? About staying away from junk? The Boston Globe had run an article about the possible banning of trans-fats that became the basis for my lecture. My God, I thought, I've become thin, and simultaneously, a wet blanket.

Breakfast
1 Slice Balthazar Multi-Grain Bread
5 Slices of Ham
Coffee

Snack
4 Slices of Beef Jerky
1.5 oz Boston Lite Popcorn
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar

Lunch: Ariadne
Grilled Squid over Arugula with Hummus
Tuna Sashimi with Guacamole, Carrots and Soybeans

Dinner
Steelhead Trout with balsamic glaze
Broccoli
Peppadews
2 Chicken Nuggets

Emily met me for lunch today and wanted to go to a fancy restaurant about five minutes from where I work. We got there right when they opened at 12, but the waiter did not take our order for nearly 10 minutes, claiming he was 'busy.' There were two other tables of two there. We both ordered an appetizer salad and something else, but 40 minutes later our food had not yet come. When it finally did come, it was excellent, but that time I was not only late to get back to work, but both Emily and I had parking tickets. So that added $30 to the lunch tab. As Emily and always joke (from a conversation overheard 10 years ago when we were on vacation) "A big letter is coming."

1 comment:

Mom said...

It's such a bother when service is slow..especially when the food is good. Otherwise you could just walk out. I took H to KAMA last night. Amazing suchi...and I think he liked his food too. It looked pretty good. But they are unwilling to rent out the place on a Friday or Saturday so it's back to the drawing board. Love, MOM
PS: I'm very proud of you...and you're not a "wet blanket." You look fantastic!