Saturday, October 21, 2006

Year 2, Day 233: Bat Mitzvah

Today Ruby and I were to attend a neighbor's Bat-Mitzvah. I originally was gong to have to work, because a client needed us to come in on Saturday (which I regard as hostile), but it got cancelled when something didn't go right for them. So Ruby and I suited up and got to temple. I knew she would get distracted quickly, so I brought three sucking candies. I felt kind of bad that I was resorting to the worst of the worst—sugar, corn syrup and artificial flavors- to keep her at bay, but there was little other choice because the iPod headphones would have been an obvious giveaway. After the relatively brief 90-minute service, the Rabbi sliced the challah and asked if any kids wanted some? I gave Ruby the slight push she needed and she nearly toppled the bema to get to that challah. She took two pieces, ostensibly one for me. When I refused she gave the traditional shrug and proceeded to eat it herself. I let her have a coke at the kids bar for behaving and then we got on the with the business of the day, which was two more playdates.

Breakfast
2 Scrambled Eggs
4 Slices Ham
1 Slice Balthazar Bread
Coffee

Lunch:
Greek Salad (Romaine, Feta, Peppers)
Hamburger
Pickle

Snack:
Almonds & Cashews

Dinner
2 Hot Italian Sausage
Breast of Chicken
2 Florets of Raw Cauliflower
1 Diet Ginger Ale

Though this was not the worst kind of eating night (like an out of control one) or the most volume (like a poker night) it was a pretty bad one, from all accounts. I made my kids beloved spaghetti sauce and it involves hot Italian sausage which no one in my family likes except me, and so when it is done, I naturally eat it all, though usually I leave it in the sauce (that I freeze in batches) and when I unfreeze it, I eat the sausage. This time, I just ate the sausage all day till at night, I realized I had to call it dinner, though as we were coming home, my neighbor insisted I take a huge plate of Bat-Mitzvah food with me...I agreed and Emily and the kids ate it.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Where is the child that shares? Just kidding. Harvey took some beautiful pictures with his regular camera. He'll be sending them to you. (Here on 10/28/06) we are going to Phila to visit my parents and it's raining wicked as they might say in Bean Town. I'll be out of range with no wireless remote. Isn't it amazing how dependent we can become? Love, MOM