Sunday, October 15, 2006

Year 2, Day 227: Rocky Racoon

I had a very hard workout today and for the first time I went 6.5 miles. As usual, I did not think I was going to make it and the fourth and fifth miles were just absolute torture. I must say that I have noticed a correlation with working out in the morning (after breakfast) and ease. It's easier to work out in the morning. I think every meal you have (lunch, f'rinstance) makes it that much harder, and when you have a delicious brunch it's just that much harder to suit up and hit the machines. I treated myself to some chorizo this AM and I have to confess that I just absolutely love it, and for some reason, Aquitaine Bis has the best non-barbecue pork products in the land.

Breakfast #1
1 Slice Balthazar Bread
4 Slices Ham
Green Tea

Brunch
3 Eggs with Cheese
1.5 Tubes Chorizo
1 Slice Bacon
2 small bites of French Toast

Pre/post workout snack
1 oz popcorn
6 oz plain yogurt
3 tablespoons peanut butter
2 pieces of rye vita dark
plus 2 oz 50% Jalapeno cheddar

dinner
beef satay leftovers
bok choy
japanese salad
2 spare ribs

When I got back from working out and had a few snacks, I was ready to get some housework done, and the first thing I set my sites on was putting the Mosquito Magnet in the shed. I asked Ruby for help. Now she didn't really need to help, but it was a beautiful day and she did need to be outside. We went out to the shed and while I was rearranging the junk that's there (and we've only had the house for three years) I heard a noise that I knew didn't come from Ruby. I looked over at the high chair and I saw a large raccoon, probably the size of Magnolia, very frightened, crawl into the spot usually reserved for children. I shooed Ruby away, but of course, the very act of doing that made her want to see what I was shooing her away from (when will parents ever learn?). We came as close as we dared and we saw its eyes behind its little burglar mask. It so cute we both thought. And so rabid, I thought. We vamoosed inside and I called the police, who fielded the call since Needham's crack Animal Control squad doesn't work weekends. Their solution: leave the shed door open and see if the raccoon crawls out. Trying to hide my indignation I asked "that's it? You don't come and put the cuffs on him? I mean, he is wearing the burglar mask!" Their was a silence on the other end and then he said "You can call Animal Control on Monday." I thanked the officer for his time.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I don't know....I know they can have Rabies but there is a family of racoons living around here....and sometimes they sneak up and eat the food left for the cats. Oh all right, I don't always pick up the food at night...and they come on the porch to eat. They don't frighten me anymore. But it's good to know you have such a cracker-pbjcojack police department...now you feel so safe. Love, MOm