Saturday, December 31, 2005

Day 306: Sixth Night of Chanukah


I was the youngest in the gym today by 20 years. Also, the place was nearly empty, which I suppose is due at least in part to revelers skipping their workouts in order to secure their New Year's Eve roasts and the like. Today's moment of being choked up on the elliptical machine came from hearing the song "To Sir with Love." Specifically the line "And how do you thank someone who has taken you from crayons to perfume? It isn't easy but I'll try." Although I never really had a mentor except for Rob Blumenfeld, who during my first year at Camp plucked me out of obscurity to have star in his play, but when I hear "To Sir with Love" I think of my friend Ray Metz, who honestly was as the words say "A friend who taught me right from wrong and weak from strong—that's a lot to learn." Soon it will be five years since he's gone. And I know he would tell me one thing: "Don't be afraid."

Breakfast
Two Slices Multi-Grain Bread Balthazar Bread
Super Chunky Peanut Butter
1st of 3 Cracker Barrel Cheese Blocks

Post Gym-Snack
3 Strips of Chicken
10 Whole Grain Wheat Thins
2nd and 3rd of 3 Cracker Barrel Cheese Blocks

Lunch
6 oz. Blueberry Yoplait Yogurt
1/4 cup Almonds/Cashews
1 Dried Peach, 4 Dried Apricots

Post-Lunch Snack
2 Cups of Microwave Popcorn
Coke Zero

Dinner
Steak Tips
Broccoli
Salad a la Molly

Today was a funny day eating wise since at 10AM I started a play date for Ruby at someone else's house and then I skeedaddled to the gym. En route back from the gym to my house, I ran into Emily who slopped me with some chicken (which was good because I was feeling woozy and light headed). At home after my shower I had some cheese and crackers (remembering that you can more efficiently metabolize carbs in the short period following a workout) then back to the marathon play date. When it ended at around 2:00pm, I again was starving and had the ol' yogurt snack but as the day wore on I found I needed the popcorn to get through to dinner. By dinner it was fine, but I am certain I blunted much of the four miles I burned off today.

1 comment:

Mom said...

It is so good to remember Ray who was such a special friend to you. It doesn't seem possible that so much time has gone by since 9/11.
It was great to see you. Great to see the blogs with picturs. Amazing. Love, MOM