Friday, December 16, 2005

Day 291: He That Wears the Crown

I knew I was going to the dentist today, but I thought it would be a routine affair. He was supposed to just take off the temporary crown and place the new, permanent one on. But as luck would have it, I was not responding to the anesthetic (he and the nurse were fretting that there might have been a 'bad' shipment) and so multiple swabs, shots and wildly unpleasant sensations (accompanied by unpleasant mental images of metal things being swirled around my inner cavity) later they wrapped it up and I left, somewhat dizzy, and with more than one footprint on my chest. Needless to say, I could barely talk, and when I did it wasn't audible. While some part of me thought this was funny, I tried to retain from laughing lest anyone think I was putting them on. I had no appetite and no coffee and so I was in kind of a daze. This was good for the diet, but not so great for anything else.

Breakfast (The Usual)
Two slices of Balthazar Bread
Peanut Butter
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Light Cheddar
Tea

Snack
1/4 cup almonds/cashews
1/4 cup dried fruit

Lunch
Broccoli and Cheddar Soup (from Panera)
1 8 oz. Columbo Light Yogurt (Peach)

Dinner
1 Strip Catfish
A few Bites of Bok Choy
1 Piece of Cut-up Hot Dog that went astray from Ruby's plate

About four hours after the appointment I started to get hungry, and even though I could just barely talk, and I couldn't chew on my right side, I ate my soup (some co-workers were kind of enough to take pity on a pathetic creature). As fate would have it, Emily was at the Subaru dealership having the car tuned up. Instead of waiting, our salesman lent Emily his car so she could tool around instead of wait in the very depressing waiting room (though it must be said that they feature wireless Internet). For some reason, this same salesman had a blow-up with a customer and was being "sent home" for the day—causing him to call me because he didn't know where Emily was! Well, I could barely talk and now I had to find Emily (who rarely answers her cell phone). It was a funny moment, and actually, she was pulling up in front of the dealership only moments later, but I sure was bummed out for that few minutes that I thought I would have to convey emergency messages in caveman-like tones.

2 comments:

Mom said...

SOunds like a rough day. Glad you located Emily and that the dental crisis seems to have passed. Love, MOM

Don in CA said...

As Jerry and George would have said: 'That's a show!" Another reason why Marcia and I think you should find a publisher and give this blog to the world!