Thursday, December 08, 2005

Day 283: Detecto Says "197" - Ugh.

Well, it's been a long time coming but I can't say all the signs weren't there—a big Thanksgiving, two weeks with no walks, and finally, a weekend without working out. What does this all lead to? A gain of 1lb. The doctor said (and I quote) "you're wearing all your winter hoo-hah, so you're probably more like 195." This is sweet, but factually untrue. By the time I was weighed (albeit on a VERY different Detecto scale) I was wearing only my jeans, socks, skivvies and a hospital johnny. Those things do not weigh more than a pound, but even if they do, I realize, with great sadness, that I will not be able to rely on the weekly walks anymore. I realize that I will have to work a morning gym visit into my routine. A coworker advised me today to 'shower at the gym.' It's one of those pieces of advice that you get and when you get it, you flinch because it's the truth and you don't like what the truth is. To use an annoying cliche expression, I can 'do the math' and realize she's right—if I don't shower at the gym there's no way to do a reasonable workout and get to work on time. Maybe in summer, it's doable by a thread, but in winter, it's a locker for me all the time. I am learning so much on this diet.

Breakfast
Three Eggs (1 broken)
2 strips turkey bacon
2 oz cheddar cheese
Tea

Snack
1/4 cup almonds/cashews
1 Medium Dunkin Donuts (half decaf)
8 dried apricots
30 pistachios
1 cameo apple

Lunch
Shrimp with Vegetables
Wonton Soup

Dinner
Tilapia a la Em
Spinach a la Em
Some Broccoli and Cheese

When I was relating the story of how I came to be at the Doctor's office, The doctor (not Dr. Parent, the original Doctor who saved my life) but Dr. Slater, another Dr. in the practice, pointed to my age on the computer monitor and said "That's your problem." In a sitcom-like moment I both laughed with the factuality of the statement and then said "What do you mean?" She said my metabolism had 'slowed down' and now I would have to EAT LESS and EXERCISE MORE to break past by 196-7 blockage. And I thought "Good God, it's just getting harder and harder." More gym time, less food. Though honestly, all you have to do is look at the above list and realize I COULD cut down a little down. Especially on the pistachios.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi. Yes the pistachio count is high and that is probably where the problem is. You have changed your life style so admirably....it should be reflected in the scale. But remember, you look great, your clothes fit better and your attitude is fantastic. Hope the aches and pains are better. What did the doctor say about your shoulder? Love, MOM