Friday, September 01, 2006

Year 2, Day 183: To Get Weighed In?

As I continue to struggle to get back to a sort of baseline, I continue to consider the monthly weigh-in. Given that I have kept my weight fairly consistent for about a year, and coupled with the fact that my doctor of record is moving, I wonder if it makes sense to continue this practice. I think it's been a good tool for a long time, but it almost seems that practicality will dictate that frequent, unpaid visits to my (new) doctor's office might be frowned on. I also have to decide whether or not it's a good way to be judging my continued success on the program or not. Believe me, most of the time when the news is good, it's a great feeling. But I know that if I can play tennis once a week, and work out once a week, and walk around the Charles River once a week, I will be OK— as long as I don't overdo it on the very tempting trifecta of junk food, fruit and dessert.

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean/Heritage Flakes
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Bananas & Blueberries
Green Tea


Snack
Coffee
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
4 Sticks Beef Jerky
3 handfuls of Cashew

Lunch: Chin Shin Yuan
Hot & Sour Soup
Chun King Pork
Moo Shi Pork

Dinner (@ Neighbors)
Fish with Scallions
Chinese Spare Ribs
Bok Choy

Dessert
Two Nips

Two very different Chinese meals today; one traditional American (but with lots of cabbage) and one very traditional Chinese, made my our neighbor's Mom, who used to run a restaurant. The traditional Chinese spare ribs do not even remotely resemble "American" Spare ribs. They are not long, and they aren't pink with a sugary goodness. They don't sit glistening on a oval plate but rest in a stew bowl, these little nibs, like small bone-presents wrapped in meat. They don't offer corn-on-the-cob style multiple-bite eating; once you get some meat, you're done, unless you're a bone eater. Obviously, the Americans throughout the years (and the Chinese that served them) continued to add sugar and more sugar to their traditional diets until Jewish families were addicted to eating it every Sunday night, throughout the 50s, and until Neil Simon stopped writing plays.

1 comment:

Mom said...

How nice to have neighbors who can cook as well as be neighborly. It's great for the kids as well. Love, MOM