Saturday, September 09, 2006

Year 2, Day 190: Poker Nuts

Did not go for a walk today, as is my preferred poker-day routine. Possibly related to this, I got crushed at the card table. Tried to have a sensible day of eating (with no nuts) because I know poker night is 'nut night,' thanks to me. For about a year now I have been bringing my patented salted almonds/unsalted cashew mix and a bag of pistachios to the game, and nearly without fail, they are both finished by the end of the night. I think this is because nuts and poker go together so well. They are salty, small, easy to eat, and they can be eaten prior to a meal as an appetizer or after the meal as a post-meal item (I am hesitant to call them a dessert offering). Also pistachios are fun to break open when your cards are very, very bad, and so naturally many of them were consumed this evening.

Breakfast
Kashi/Heritage Flakes
1 Banana
Blueberries
Soy Milk
Green Tea

Snackz
4 sticks beef jerky
1/2 oz Bosto Lite Popcorn

Lunch: Sushi
3 Tuna, Whitefish, Crabstick
Miso Soup
Salad

Dinner/Poker
Nuts, Nuts, Nuts
4 Roll Mops
Ham, Roast Beef, Turkey, Salami, Cheese
Pickles
2 Corn Chips

I have come up with a new breakfast idea that allows me to skip the dreaded "milk left in bowl, must add cereal" pattern that I have been falling into. That's bad mainly because it allows me to, with its higher principal of matching milk to cereal, skip the issue about portion control. The new idea is that I pour the soy milk into the kashi/heritage flakes mix and leave it there, for like 10 minutes. When I return to the bowl, the cereal has absorbed all of the milk and it's just like eating mushy cereal, but if you can get your mind around it, it's a dry mushy cereal, because that Kashi can really hold up when wet. When I'm done, the bottom of the bowl has nothing in it, and then I'm free to go to work, unlike what used to happen is that I was compelled into a circular pattern of adding soy milk or cereal until I was distracted by a loud noise made by one of my daughters or some shiny object.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi, It does sound like poker night is fun....which is a great plus. As for cereal...it's cereal and it's filling and that makes it a very good breakfast no matter what the consistency is....or is it? Love, MOM