Sunday, September 17, 2006

Year 2, Day 199: Dance, Little Hampster

Much to my alarm and dismay, they installed individual television units today on all the pieces of exercise equipment. While I was initially kind of excited about this, I noted quickly that it was nothing to be happy about. Aside from the title of this posting, wherein I note that with each technological advantage I feel more like a furry rodent in a cage full of shavings, I also noted that the individual units were not close-captioned. This means I could not simply watch/read a program and continue to listen to my iPod (with safe earphones, not damaging ear-pods). You may not know it unless you try to watch television without the sound AND without closed captioning, but there are not very many programs that are worth simply watching without the soundtrack. Another problem: everyone can see what you are watching. That's not like your iPod, on which you can listen to the complete Barry Manilow ballads collection without anyone else being the wiser. On the television, your choice of "The Next Super Runway Model" or "Fox News" tells the gymnik next to you possibly more than they wanted to know.

Breakfast
2 Soft Boiled Eggs
Green Tea

Snack
2 oz. Almonds/Cashews
3 Slices Rye Vita
3 Tablespoons Super Chunky Peanut Butter
Coffee

Lunch:
Hamburger
Cabbage Salad
Pickles

Dinner
Steak Tips
Broccoli
1 Ear of Corn

Since I am intrepid when it comes to gym-technology, I tried watching the TV, resting the channel on Game Show Network's reruns of "Match Game" with Gene Rayburn. To tell you the truth, the show has dated badly, and it brought me the tepid smile of an old but forgotten children's record. After one segment in which I confirmed my long held-belief that the entire cast was on quaaludes, I plugged my iPod in and searched until I found the Spanish language station that featured dancing and some PBS version of "Pennies from Heaven" on Broadway. Just to add insult to injury, the movie on the big TV (that was closed-captioned) was a creepy B-movie called "The Neighbor" with Rod Steiger and the girl from "Crocodile Dundee." I wanted to shut it off so bad that I even paused the machine to look for the remote, but it was nowhere in site. As it was it was quite a workout. I did my six miles on level four, but today it was really a struggle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have a headache from all these new posts. i hate reading for any ammount of time of the comp. any suggestions? anyhow, it was so entertaing that i persevered. i have a few question. if i respond to a blog from two weeks ago will you ever see it? isnt it buried with the blog-- or is there an alarm telling you about it? i have accumulated a few comments.

1) you should feel free to eat as much lettuce and salad as you possibly can (no oil, of course). dont you agree?

2)trust me on this. the single most helpful workout gadget i have ever purchased is a heart rate monitor. made my polar. dont spend more than fifty dollars. it is fascinating to see exactly where you are during your hour workout. and on your walks etc. i put mine on to play tennis the other day for the first time and was pleasantly surprised to see how much harder i was working out than i realized. also, good to see how quickly you recover. talk to me. i have all the numbers for fat burning.

3) i hope you realize that your wrist is not just from tennis. your keyboard activity set it up. and didnt you say your mom and bro both had surgery? so you are genetically prone to the problem?

4) thanks for all those entertaining blogs. i loved reading them.

love and kisses. ajk

Mom said...

Reading the comments to this post. I was visiting my mom who was having Carpel Tunnel Surgery at 93. I had had both wrists done considerably younger and David had trigger fingers and I think CPS too. So I said to the hand surgeon that it seemed to have a genetic element working. He disagreed. But I still think that it's true. Love, MOM