Saturday, September 23, 2006

Year 2, Day 205: Rosh Hashana Dinner V.2

A very odd morning. Due to what was unbelievably termed a "computer glitch," a strange woman entered our kids' room at 7:30AM, waking up Ruby and disturbing Emily and I so that we could not get back to sleep. I immediately called the front desk, and refused their preposterous answer and demanded to be called back. Since I knew Ruby wasn't going back to sleep, I volunteered to take her out exploring: to the game room (Foosball and Table-shuffleboard as well as Pool), out for some much needed Advil and to return with coffee. As luck would have it, the front desk only had Advil Cold & Sinus, which wasn't what I went looking for, but for my actual condition was much better. It was an overcast morning, and it felt very much like staying at a rich relative's house where no one was awake yet. Ruby and I played in the dark game room for a while, earning suspicious glances from the janitorial staff until we got hungry and went to seek out food. As is her want at hotels, she picked fruit loops for cereal and accepted a glass of orange juice. Surveying the lot, I picked eggs and bacon with tabasco sauce and lots of coffee. Since everything was free, I filled two large to-go containers for Emily and Magnolia with bagel, cream cheese, french toast, oatmeal, fruit, bacon and of course, coffee and milk.

Breakfast
Scrambled Eggs & Bacon
Coffee

Snack-n-Room
Honeycrisp Apple with SC Peanut Butter
6 oz. Day old Strawberry Stonyfield Yogurt

Lunch:
Greek Salad with Chicken & Feta
Oil & Vinegar

Appetizers
Two slices Balthazar Bread
Assorted Goat cheeses
Spicy Crackers

Dinner
Brisket
Meatballs
Chicken Breast
Asparagus

Dessert
1 Fork of Carrot Cake
1 Bite of a chocolate graham cracker cookie.

Because we had to both leave from Rockland County instead of Englewood, we left earlier, but still took a detour through Englewood so I could stock up on Balthazar bread. Eschewing the rye, I picked up eight Multi-grain loaves, reasoning that I wouldn't be back either often or soon. We pressed on to New York to my Aunt Doreen's house, where Magnolia did not want to nap, and we set about chatting and eating for the remainder of my time there with my Aunt, my father, mother, stepmother, brother, sister-in-law, niece, nephew, cousin & wife and his two kids. Dinner was meat-tastic and there was a lot to pick from, but many of us were chasing our kids with forks trying to get them to eat, or with wagging fingers, trying to get them to calm down. Though I'm not sure what they ate, I know Ruby sat down for a helping of dessert, where I carelessly helped her (and myself to a few crumbs). A happy new year was had by all. My cousin's son even blew the Shofar.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Quite a crew collected at Doreen's. But it was very nice to see everyone. Happy and Healthy New Year to all! Love, MOM