Friday, September 22, 2006

Year 2, Day 204: The IBM Inn

Today we headed to points South for the first major holiday post the sale of Emily's father's house. This presented some logistical problems as to where we were going to lodge. Fortunately, Emily found us the IBM Palisades, a technical state-of-the-art hotel and conference center set on acres of woods only minutes from her sister's house. While it's somewhat of a come down to have pay to stay somewhere, when that place has all-over wi-fi, the latest greatest gym equipment, a lap pool, game room, tennis, a few breathtaking vistas and free breakfast, it's hard to find something to pine for.

Breakfast
1 Slice Balthazar Bread
4 Slices of Virginia Ham
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar

Snack/On the Road
1 oz. Cracker Barrel Cheese
1 Handful Almonds/Cashews

Lunch:
3 Roll Mops: Brisket/Turkey/Swiss Cheese Mustard
Pickles
Romaine Salad
Bean/Eggplant Dip

Pre-Gym
1 Granny Smith Apple

Dinner:
Breast of Chicken
A Bean Mixture
Salad

IBM
Glass of Wine

It was a bit of a strange day. My cold, though a day old, felt like it was flowering. The original plan was that we'd nap Ruby at my sister-in-laws, and go to the gym in check in and I would work out. Feeling poorly, I thought I might nap, but seeing the gym, and being away from the kids, I felt compelled to do what I could. Though it was a slightly different elliptical, on level four I managed to do just under four miles in about sixty-five minutes. Now this is way under what I usually can do, but remember, I had a cold, and my arm is still not recovered, so sometimes, three or four miles an hour was all that I could muster. On top of that, I was having iPod failures which required me to keep restarting it, very unusual. At the end of the workout, I burned 650 calories, and then I went with my sister-in-law Amy to observe Emily play tennis with my brother-in-law. After their set, he and I walked back to the hotel for a little extra calorie-burn. I skipped dessert, and celebrated with a glass of wine from the bar, which I took back to the room. I was liking it there.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Sounds good...but I feel like I'm in a time warp because of course this isn't current material and I've already seen you and the family and you've gone back to Boston. I think you mean you left Magnolia to nap at your sister in law's but whatever. Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Time warp, indeed. I'm having a hard enough time figuring out today's date, so please post in a more timely fashion or I'll simply have to consult a regular calendar:-) Besides, I'm eager to know if your visit here caused any damage. Hope not. Loved the time we had.
Love and hugs,
Auntd.