Friday, June 02, 2006

Year 2, Day 95: 2nd Rate Salad Bars

This morning I was with a friend who was showing me his office and took me on a tour of a little cafe that's connected to his wing of the building. He proudly showed me his salad bar, but in fact, what a sad, sad salad bar it was. I pitied him, really, because he does not know the glory of the Russo's salad bar. He told me "I eat a salad here every day." Yes, you probably do, I thought, and I'll bet you think it's just grand.

Breakfast
1 cup Kashi Go Lean
1/2 Cup Heritage Flakes
1/2 cup USM
1/2 cup Regular Soy Milk
1 Cup Blueberries

Snack
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
5 Strawberries

Lunch: Whole Foods Salad Bar
Mesclun Greens
Feta
Tomatoes, Olives, Snap Peas
Tuna
Chick Peas
Oil & Vinegar

Dinner
Emily's Turkey & Cabbage Wraps
3 Bites of an Edy's Coconut Pop

Then, I met Emily for lunch at the Whole Foods on Washington Street where I took in their $7.99/lb salad bar, that I once regarded with hearts in eyes. Sadly, I realize now what a sham it is, with its impossible to close plastic salad container, and no grilled chicken anywhere in site. I had to do two laps just find the feta and they were clearly pushing the grape tomatoes, because they were in everything. My salad was over eight dollars, and Emily's was in the seven-nineties. All I can say is I felt a surge of pride for the work I've done at Russo's. It can beat the piss-cakes out of just about any salad bar I've seen.

5 comments:

Mom said...

Good for you. Stick with Russo's. love. MOM

Anonymous said...

I'm leffing, I'm leffing. Start to finish. One of my favorite blog entries EVER.

PS: I like the little bags of Sobe wheat crackers.

Lurleen

Anonymous said...

"Whole Foods on Washington Street" in Brighton? They don't have a salad bar anymore. Only prepack. Where were you really?

bloomeanie said...

No, Whole Foods on Washington street in Newton. They have a four-cabinet salad bar (which you know all too well).

Anonymous said...

Yes. Of course. Newton. I am so Boston-centric and thinking of your old neighborhood (3 moves removed) when you were cool and hip and much heavier.

My apologies.