Monday, June 26, 2006

Year 2, Day 119: First Day of Camp

There is a lot to do when it's the first day of anything, but today's it's just day camp and at that, it's around the corner. Also, Ruby has a few friends at the camp, and it's where she went to school, so I'm less neurotic than usual. Sleep away camp is going to give me a stroke, but I'm not worried about that now. Since the camp will only allow dairy meals for lunch (and unlike other camps that insist on this rule, don't provide pizza, or anything yummy and hot) and that is a vexation for me since my ideas about what will pass and what my daughter will eat make only very small overlapping circles. This morning I made her a hamburger. I on the other hand, continued my Balthazar consumption, but I switched back to the pan-loaf of multi-grain, instead of the wide-rye style I was eating in NJ.

Breakfast
1 slice balthazar bread
2 slices of ham
Green Tea

Snack
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar

Lunch: Russo's ($5.45)
Red leaf, red onion, red pepper,
chicken, chick peas, mushrooms, tomatoes
feta, oil & vinegar

Dinner:
Catfish a la Emily
Grilled Jillzy Style Asparagus

Movie Snack: Popcorn

I saw "An Inconvenient Truth" and I found it both moving and (obviously) alarming. Unlike Fahrenheit 9/11 it's not as "attackive" (a word misused by a former boss now part of my jargon). It sort of lets you observe without going out the way to frighten you. It is like a big Al Gore commercial, and even more entertaining, a big commercial for the Mac, which he uses in every scene he's in where's not on the farm.
I certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a movie to see. In a related story, I asked the concession stand guy how much popcorn was in the medium bag. He said without question "46 ounces." I looked at him dumbly. "Are you sure?" I asked, looking at the purse-size bag. "I think your math might be off there." No, he insisted, and even went so far as to pretend to read the writing on the bag, "46 ounces." Not being able to leave well enough alone I countered, "I think you must mean 4.6 ounces. I'm certain 46 ounces of popcorn would fill up a pillow case or more." I saw that our conversation was over, so I just paid and moved on. No wonder we're trailing the world in the math, I thought.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Glad you saw the Gore movie. See I didn't even notice the McDonald's. But it did present his evidence in a compelling way and I did not mind his selling himself..I thought he did a very good job. If only he would be as attractive in personal appearances as he is when he is directed! Love, MOM