Saturday, June 10, 2006

Year 2, Day 102: Trip to the Unveiling

For some reason, fate had it that I would travel to New York this weekend for my Grandmother's unveiling, which if you don't know is when you get to see the tombstone in its place for the first time. While I do not hold that this means a great deal, I still felt honor bound to attend, so my brother and I left after work and got on the road. As a present to ourselves, we stopped off at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse which was about 95 minutes into the trip, which seemed to be a good place to stop both from the trip perspective, and the time we got there (8:00pm). It was a smallish place about 5 minutes from the Highway. I must say that everything there was very very good tasting, and the wait staff was very interested in snapping to attention.

Breakfast
3 Eggs, Scrambled
1/2 chicken chorizo sausage link

Snack
12 oz coffee (half decaf)
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
5 Sticks Celery
2 Tablespoons SC Peanut Butter

Lunch: Russo's ($5.11)
Red leaf, red onion, red pepper
broccoli, chick peas, chicken, feta

Car Snack:
1/2 of 1 sleeve (2.5 oz) peanuts

Dinner
2 Shrimp in a shrimp cocktail
spinach salad with bacon, eggs, mushrooms
sirloin steak (50%)
asparagus spears
mushrooms.

I must say that the longer I am on the diet the more aware I am becoming of the problems in the American Food system. In this instance I specifically talking about Ruth Chris' claim that they sell "Corn-Fed Beef." To me, this is idiotic, since any good Whole Foods customer knows that corn-fed beef is a disaster for multiple reasons:

1. Cows weren't born to eat corn (they don't have hands or cornholders); they were born to eat grass. Their bodies don't know how to digest corn, so they have to be given antibiotics so they don't die from eating the wrong diet.

2. Corn-fed cows have more bad fat (Omega 6) and less good fat (Omega 3s).

3. Humans eating corn-fed beef is a disaster (as evidence by the prevalence of disease increases) since we don't process unnaturally fed cows.

So all in all, this would be like having a seafood restaurant and claiming boldly that your fish live on a diet of cotton candy. Fish are supposed to eat other fish or sea vegetation, unless they live in the bowl (in which case they need to be overfed by a six year old until they die). So I sadly make another note in my diet book: NO CORN-FED BEEF. Does that mean I'll always ask or always avoid it? No, but it means that when I have a choice, between grass-fed and corn-fed I'll choose grass. Sorry Ruth's Chris. And PS: Your restaurant name is a grammatical nightmare.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robz

One of your best postings ever.

But beware you won't find grass-fed beef anywhere that sells a lot of beef because there aren't a lot of grass-fed cows being commercially produced. I don't even think WFM can get it in the quantities they need. But if you do find it let me know where. Funny/weird that Ruth's Chris goes out of its way to state Corn-fed.

jz

Mom said...

I'll be very careful with my beef eating from now on. Thanks for the tip. No pun intended. Love, MOM