Sunday, June 18, 2006

Year 2, Day 111: Father's Day

Sure, it's traditional to sleep late on Father's Day, and to be awarded a present of a necktie, but being an untraditional family, I got up early, and went shopping, which is actually something I like to do. To reward myself for doing a necessary house chore at 8:30AM, I decided to get an iced-black coffee from Dunkin Donuts. I could already tell the day was going to make good on its threat to be very, very hot. When I opened the door to the DD I realized there was a problem, and soon I discovered what it was. The Sunday morning crew was taken by surprise by a large Father's Day order containing what I assessed at six or seven breakfast sandwiches and multiple 'box of joes'. I considered leaving, but decided the effort extended wasn't worth it. I stood my ground, and with line attrition, and a little patience, it all worked out. On the way home I also stopped at CVS to get myself a new pair of sunglasses, since Magnolia had twisted my other ones out of existence.

Breakfast
2 Hard Boiled Eggs
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
1 Slice Balthazar Multi-Grain
1 Large Dunkin Donuts Ice Coffee

Snack
4 Celery Sticks
3 Tablespoons Super Chunky Peanut Butter
2 oz. Boston Lite Popcorn


Lunch
Romaine, Cabbage, Feta and grilled chicken


Dinner
Chicken, Bok Choy
Strawberries (Magnolia didn't eat)

Getting back home there was a lot to do, but I had hoped that Ruby and I would take advantage of the heat and go see "Cars." Since I never get to see movies, I was really looking forward to it, though I imagined it to be a lackluster animated picture. In fact, she didn't want to do that at all, she wanted to go to the pool, so after a few false starts, that's where we went. She spent about half the time in the pool and the other half on the monkey bars. I made small chit-chat with other families, including one joke that didn't go over that well. In conversation, I suggested that a third family didn't like the Needham kindergarten they were in because at the end of the semester their child could not read "Wuthering Heights." It really landed like a lead balloon. I learned a lesson about jokes and school families— they don't mix, especially when the jokes are bad and the families humorless. Later that night when I was putting Ruby to bed she said "I'm sorry I didn't make you a present for Father's Day." And I replied "But my present for Father's Day was BEING your father." She was stymied by that, and promised to make something for me the next day.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Well Happy Father's Day anyway. It reminds me of taking Noah and Sophie to see Beauty and the Beast on Broadway...when Sophie was about Ruby's age. She kept saying afterwards.s..but how can a man be a beast? No comments please....she just couldn't quite appreciate this abstrast "theatre trick" in front of her eyes. But things change over time. So one day Ruby will appreciate how important it is to you to be her father. And a great one at that. Love, MOM