Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Year 2, Day 29: Cashews are From Venus, Pistachios from Mars

The whole thing about nuts is what they always said about potato chips. "You can't eat just one." And it's true. The whole thing about nuts is that they are so small, yet they deliver a delicious helping of protein and essential vitamins (A and E), minerals like phosphorous and potassium, and fiber. But they're so SMALL, that it's hard to moderate how many you should have. Of course, they're also loaded with fat and oils so they're 'dietbusters' if you can't keep your hand out of the nut-jar. The problem is that there's been a jar of pistachios in the conference room, and just like the chocolate, when you're staring at it for a half hour it requires super-human resistance to avoid the temptation. Though I must pat myself on the back for the occasional bout of super-human temptation resistance, this day didn't feature any of it.

Breakfast
5 Slices of Ham
1 Slice of Balthazar Rye
3 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
Tea

Snack-z
25 Pistachios
12 oz. Coffee (half decaf)

Lunch: Russo's ($6.01)
Red leaf, red pepper, red onion
broccoli, feta cheese, olives
chicken

Dinner
Emily's Crispy Turkey (made with Whole Wheat breadcrumbs)
Emily's Leek-y Flounder
Peppadews

Etc.
3 Bites of Ruby's Healthy Choice Pop
3 pieces of pineapple

Fortunately, I did get through the day without any oatmeal cookies, and the transgressions were minor, though still troubling as they came after dinner, when metabolism is low. I do need to eat a snack during the 3:00pm hour, because otherwise I come home famished and eat more dinner than I should. I thought I would do it today, but honestly I'm not REALLY hungry until like 5:00pm and that feels like a stupid time to be eating a snack. But I guess like anything, it takes a lot of work to understand one's own self.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Glad the rye arrive intact and that Magnolia can once again partake in the splendors of Balthazar. Nuts are captivating I know.....but share your concern about them. Love, MOM