Monday, March 13, 2006

Year 2, Day 14: The Bread is Back in Town

If you've been reading this blog for any amount of time then you know that my mom is a VERY big supporter of the program. She teaches in NYC at a university that is only 10 minutes away from the REAL Balthazar. Naturally, she felt the need to check it out for herself, but knowing that our supply had run out, she volunteered to send reinforcements. It came today by FedEx and no sooner had it arrived then everybody was munching on some. Magnolia had nearly three slices (but in an act of fatherly support, I ate all the crusts). Man, that's good. It's just better than all other bread I've ever had. Sounds hyperbolic, but it's true. It's both true and hyperbolic.

Breakfast
1 cup Kashi Go Lean
1/4 cup Kashi Puffs
3/4 cup Unsweetened Soy Milk
Tea

Snack
12 oz coffee (half decaf)
1/4 Cashews, Pistachios

Lunch: Sushi 21
Salad
Miso Soup
Chicken Teriyaki

Dinner: Blue Ribbon BBQ
Burnt Ends
1 Rib
Salad

Afterwards:
1 small slice Balthazar Bread with Butter

And what butter! I don't eat very much butter, except for that which is used to prepare my food by people who don't consult with me (such as restaurants, or my wife). It reminds me how (cue music: My Favorite Things) my favorite part of a restaurant visit would be the bread-n-butter course. There are lots of great restaurants that do this, but consistently yummy was Legal Seafoods. We used to go roll-crazy there. Fresh, hot, white rolls, crispy on the outside and soft but chewy on the inside. I often would continue to order more rolls throughout dinner. Rolls, like rice, are very important to soak things up on your plate. When you give up rolls and rice, it means you're committing to leftover pools of food-sauce on your plate. It's really just that simple.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi, I didn't know that Magnolia was a true believer too. Glad to be of help and glad that Fed Ex came through. I'm a bread and butter person too and Legal was and is one of the best...Noah was an early devotee when he didn't eat anything else. It must be in the genes. Love, MOM