Sunday, December 25, 2005

Day 300: Trip to Christmaskah

On the 300th day of the South Beach diet we set out to New York. Though we have gotten the packing the car with two kids down to a science (the key is doing it the night before, no matter how much you want to watch television), we still have not figured out the eating thing. Due to a unexpected diaper event, we pulled over sooner than expected, and Ruby got chicken nuggets and Emily and I split a Caesar wrap at Fresh City Wraps. Needless to say I realize this is not a very good alternative for me, since it is essentially salad and croutons wrapped in white bread.

Breakfast
1 Spelt Muffin
Super Chunky Peanut Butter
1 oz. Cracker Barrel
Tea

Car Trip
50% Caesar Wrap
1/4 cups Almonds/Cashews

Arrival In New York
6 oz Yoplait Light Yogurt
6 slices Pastrami, Mustard
2 slices Corned Beef
Pickles

Dinner
Shrimp Cocktail
Olives
1.2 Australian Lobster Tails
House Salad

Tonight, we as a family went to a Seafood Restaurant that we have been going to for about 27 years. I used to think of it as an olympic eating opportunity—especially the "Shore Dinner" with its promise of multiple rich courses from steamers to lobster. Plus, there was always dessert and coffee. Tonight, for the first time ever on record, I did not finish my dinner OR have dessert. While for many of you this may be a common occurrence, but for me it is an ability that was hard-won and something that I am amazed I can do. Even today, the idea that I "might never get a chance to eat this food again" still haunts me, though more often than not, I beat it back as ridiculous nonsense. It helps that I have a job, so unlike when I was a starving college student, if I want to buy a lobster some time, I can. For me, this was the real family get together of December and I always have the olive pits to prove it.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Bravo for handling a family tradition with such poise. It was still quite a treat to have you and Ruby with us. My parents and I so enjoy this occasion. Love, MOM
Perhaps they have eased up on the word verification in the spirit of the holiday season.